• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

High Performance Oil Pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter geordie
  • Start date Start date Mar 31, 2005
G

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
576
2
19
Mar 31, 2005
#1
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #1
High Performance Fuel Pump

Any recommendations anyone? At the moment I've got the stock Carter style pump. I would like to upgrade to an aftermarket pump, possibly an Edelbrock or Holley.
 

302 coupe

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2000
1,952
3
36
Macon, Ga.
Mar 31, 2005
#2
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #2
Oil pump? It sounds like you mean fuel pump. Do you want mechanical or electric? If mechanical, they're all pretty good. If electric, I'd stear clear of the Holley pumps (reds and blues), I know a lot of people that have been left stranded by them, plus they seem to be noisier than other pumps. Use a Mallory or Summit catalog brand, the Summit pumps are re-boxed Aeromotives units for $50 less.
 
G

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
576
2
19
Mar 31, 2005
#3
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #3
Thanks. Guess I'm not awake yet. I've corrected the thread, I was thinking fuel pump and typing oil pump. I was thinking of sticking with mechanical. Is Aeromotives a good make?
 

302 coupe

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2000
1,952
3
36
Macon, Ga.
Mar 31, 2005
#4
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #4
Yeah, Aeromotive makes good stuff. You pay for it though.
 

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
2,458
1
56
North Atlanta
Mar 31, 2005
#5
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #5
mechanical....just get the summt brand high flow and you will be fine. No sense in paying for a name.

And...I run a holley blue. Ran a blue and a black one on two other cars...never had a problem.
 

302 coupe

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2000
1,952
3
36
Macon, Ga.
Mar 31, 2005
#6
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #6
I never said they were all bad. Holleys reputation just doesn't shine as brightly as the others

But I agree, a mechanical pump would be preferred for a street car.
 
R

Rapid

New Member
Mar 31, 2005
297
1
0
Columbia, SC
Apr 1, 2005
#7
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #7
Don't forget to think about your fuel pressure needs. Some carbs may need to have a regulator.
 

LMan

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
1,246
0
0
Mom's basement
Apr 1, 2005
#8
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #8
whats wrong with your old pump?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
987
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
9
Forced Induction Prepping for supercharger on non-stock build
  • 91fox427
  • Nov 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
496
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 5, 2026
Qtrhrse23
3
393W Stroker with Boost - Need Spark Plug Recommendations
  • 387lx
  • Apr 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
324
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 30, 2026
HotFox
F
2004 Mustang GT – Fuel Pump Not Priming
  • Fayio
  • Apr 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
440
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 27, 2026
n0v8or
N
K
Resolved Need some assistance. Holley Terminator X alongside H/C/I. Very rough/inconsistent idle
  • karhoot
  • Jun 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
147
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 6, 2026
karhoot
K
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?