High-wattage headlamps?

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
I live out in the mountains and the roads are really dark at night with a high likelyhood of deer crossing. I was thinking of getting some 60 watt sealed beam replacements or the stock-looking H4 housings and bulbs. I'm just worried about having to upgrade the wiring. Does anyone have either of these? What is your experience with them?

• Sponsors (?)

65ShelbyClone said:
I live out in the mountains and the roads are really dark at night with a high likelyhood of deer crossing. I was thinking of getting some 60 watt sealed beam replacements or the stock-looking H4 housings and bulbs. I'm just worried about having to upgrade the wiring. Does anyone have either of these? What is your experience with them?

Get the H4 (Hella or Cibie) conversions and a headlight relay kit from Summit Racing. It will make a BIG difference!!!!

yes but it is a simple one. the summit kit should have everything you need to use relays with your headlamps, and i do highly recomend using relays with aftermarket high output headlamps. these days relay kits are very easy to install.

65ShelbyClone said:
Did either of you have to alter the factory wiring, or is it just an add-on? I prefer not having to cut up the original wiring so I have the option of going back to stock for whatever reason.

No changes to the factory wiring. It plugged in to one of the headlight connectors, I had to hook up the power supply to the battery side of the starter relay, screw down two ground wires, plug in the headlights and mount the relays. Wham, bam!!!

when i added relays, i did it before wiring kits like the one described were available. as far as going back to stock, its not hard even with the way i did it. all you need is a replacement headlamp pigtail, and a few crimp connectors, and a bit of electrical tape for waterproofing.

i have 65 watt H4's with stock wiring. works fine for me. all i had to do was replace the headlamp switch because the old switch would cut out and the lights would flicker. no issues with the new switch though

Didn't price the Summit kit, but this might be cheaper.

Attachments

• HeadlightRelay01.jpg
    HeadlightRelay01.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 264
This maybe an Idea, ... I too hated lack luster of my head lights. but after I added the GT Lights in the grille it seem to make all the difference in the world, and well it is a stock Item.

Just a thought.

I have the four lights in my grill. when I looked at my car one day with the high beems on I liked the look of running 4 lights over the 2. So off to OZ I went this week end and I bought 2 new high and low beem bulbs and connectors and rrwired the inboard so they come on low and high. didnt think it would make a dirfrents in lighting the road but wooooow hugh dirfrents on low beems it lights up the whole road on high beem it lights up the road and house for a good distance. talked to acouple of people in the mall parking lot and they said that the lights didnt blind them when I pulled up and the efects look great. Just another way to go.

This mod is a must have. Especially when using stock lights. I replaced the lights with silverstar lamps at the same time. Difference is huge.

p.s. you can get the parts at checker but they are much cheaper at summit

I agree for its simplicity a relay setup is a MUST, a new switch isnt good enough.. Its rewards are twofold. By removing the headlight load from the switch you not only have brighter headlights but the extra amperage thru the switch will brighten those horribly dim tail lights to a modern level too. Ive got my H4 headlights on a 3 relay setup that allows the high and low beam elements to light together in when the high beams are selected.. Its pretty impressive for a 40 yr old car.