Hissing sound from air filter after motor is shut off??

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
iv heard that if you arnt venting the crankcase good enough pressure builds and when you shut the car off you can hear a hissing sound from air coming out the air filter...i do hear a hissing noise when i shut the motor off...i have a stock style PCV in the pass valve cover and a breather cap on the other cover that has a vac. nipple that i have hooked up to the intake also....

am i missing something hear? is the breather cap messing with the PCV so its not working right?....just seems like the way i have it set up it would be more then enough to vent the crank case and not have pressure build up

• Sponsors (?)

You can get a hissing sound from the airconditioner compressor as well. This time of year (since you're probably not running air) it's not as common unless you're using the defroster.

might check to see if it is the charcoal cannister and its plumbing. it is below the air filter.

good luck.

It normally does not last long, but after oyu shut your engine off, there is still vacuum in the clyinders, and the way for it to become presurized back to atmosphereic pressure is to suck air in from the throttle body.

I take it that you plugged the nipple on the throttle body?

That sound is most likely just air still getting sucked in to the engine through the filter.