• Auto

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Stick

Votes: 59 71.1%

• Total voters

Power4

May 10, 2004
Rochester, NY
Well I'm finally almost ready to buy a new 'stang and the only decision I'm having a problem with is to get a stick or an auto tranny. The main reasons I'd opt for the auto is I've had limited experience driving cars with a manual transmission; just my friends' cheap Chevys or Nissans. Plus there aren't many Mustangs on the lots around here with a stick. Here's an outline of the reasons for each I keep thinking about:

Manual:
- It's a V8 muscle car, it's gotta have a stick.
- More fun.

Auto:
- Easier to drive in traffic.
- I'm not terribly experienced with a stick.
- Easier to negotiate a lower price with the dealer because of lower demand.
- Tons more on the lots than manuals so more choice and easier to negotiate price.

• Sponsors (?)

I've also had limited experience with a stick but my current mustang that i'm trading in is an auto and the 07 i ordered is a stick. I didn't care how good i was at it b/c i know i'll get better, and like you said its a muscle car it has to be stick :D

Autos start at almost a grand more to start with so the ability to negotiate a lower price is kind of a moot point since there are dealers that will sell for 500 over invoice if you look hard enough. Perhaps even lower. I am getting a manual b/c then I don't have to have my wife trying to borrow my car, the only reason I would even consider going with an auto in my new stang is to make it easier on my designated drivers. I will sacrafice that if it's my only reason.

never driven a stick before, picking up my 06 next week, and its stick. gonna have some fun. i dont wanna regret nto gettign it later on down the road. and as others have said, its a muscle car, arent you supposed to bang through the gears yourself? had a quick lesson this past week in a 92 gt, pretty easy to get the hang of, just getting going is the hardest part, but after maybe 15 minutes i got it down.

I agree with AC. I have a blast in my Auto and there is no way I could outshift it. These new 5 speed auto's are a real nice piece of work.

Whichever way you go I'm sure you'll love it. If I lived elsewhere with less traffic and perhaps wasn't at risk for occasionaly loosing the use of my left foot to a re-occuring ailment then I would return to the Manual fold. It is pretty nice being able to drive along briskly and drink my Starbucks without worrying about the shifting though. ;)

cowtown said:
I agree with AC. I have a blast in my Auto and there is no way I could outshift it. These new 5 speed auto's are a real nice piece of work.

Whichever way you go I'm sure you'll love it. If I lived elsewhere with less traffic and perhaps wasn't at risk for occasionaly loosing the use of my left foot to a re-occuring ailment then I would return to the Manual fold. It is pretty nice being able to drive along briskly and drink my Starbucks without worrying about the shifting though. ;)

Couldn't imagine not being able to drink mine while shifting, let alone the stop and go traffic thats around here.:lol: :nice:

If it was the AOD, then ya grab a T-5, but if you sit in any kind of traffic on a daily basis, stick does get old rather fast.

Times have changed and that new 5 speed auto is sweetness. If you don't sit in any real traffic then opt for the 5-speed manual.

Notchbck93 said:
If it was the AOD, then ya grab a T-5, but if you sit in any kind of traffic on a daily basis, stick does get old rather fast.

Times have changed and that new 5 speed auto is sweetness. If you don't sit in any real traffic then opt for the 5-speed manual.

I rarely have to deal with much traffic so I'm thinking I'll go for the manual now. Hopefully I can get a good deal on one.

It's kind of silly to ask us.

The questions you have to ask yourself are:
"Which do you prefer to drive?"
"Have you test driven both stick and auto Stangs?"
"Do you have to drive in a lot of stop & go traffic?"

Quite the opposite around here, there is a 3-1 ratio of manuals to autos. It was next to impossible to get the auto and colour combo I wanted, I could source just about any colour and interior combo with a manual I wanted. One of the sales guys was complaining that they just don't have enough auto's in the GT.

Guess I must not be the only one around here sick of the traffic.