Holley Sniper review - The good, the bad, and learn from my frustration

That would be great, but I only have a few of these left and can not get any more laser cut. I got these cut at work and now they are not letting many "government" projects through. I can talk to them and see if somehow I can get more cut if there's a bunch of people that want them.

I'll hold off until we can further discuss this. I'm really not making anything off of these, more covering my material costs and shipping. Just don't want people to go through what I did.
I totally get it. I just want to make sure you have a space to provide these when and if you decide to. :)

As an aside, look on the internet. You can get "things" CNC cut in bulk, for cheap! Typically, you'd buy the material from the place doing the CNC so... It still ends up pretty cheap. I had some small work done alongside getting some printed circuit boards made. That's another project I need to get back to (non-Mustang related). lol

• Sponsors (?)

Will all small block fords have this problem ?Just starting to build my car 1968 fastback and just got a sniper kit to install
I can't speak for all sbf engines as I have only done two of them with the Sniper. On the second, I put the plate I made on right away and never had any problems. When you get yours built and running and find you are having rfi problems, send me an e-mail or pm and I'll get you a plate sent out. I still have a couple left. I'm not on here a lot, so it may be a few days before I see it.

To add, on the second Sniper kit I installed, the O2 sensor died within a couple of months and a found out a temp sensor was out of range. It was reading 20-30 degrees warmer than it actually was, so starts around zero degrees or colder were a little bit of a pain. Ended up selling that vehicle, but pulled the Sniper and put a carb back on before listing it.

If a carb style fuel injection is a must . Terminator x is the way to go. Gets the ecu into the car
Well, shoot. If I had looked at those and seen the pricing, I probably would've gone with that system.

I'm thinking about pulling apart the extra Sniper to see if I can remote mount the ECU inside. I'll try it on the spare before tearing apart the one in the car and taking the chance of wrecking something that's currently working good.

Anybody ever hear of that being done?

Well, shoot. If I had looked at those and seen the pricing, I probably would've gone with that system.

I'm thinking about pulling apart the extra Sniper to see if I can remote mount the ECU inside. I'll try it on the spare before tearing apart the one in the car and taking the chance of wrecking something that's currently working good.

Anybody ever hear of that being done?
Never and I’m in a lot of Holley groups and guys that use it frequently

I can't speak for all sbf engines as I have only done two of them with the Sniper. On the second, I put the plate I made on right away and never had any problems. When you get yours built and running and find you are having rfi problems, send me an e-mail or pm and I'll get you a plate sent out. I still have a couple left. I'm not on here a lot, so it may be a few days before I see it.

To add, on the second Sniper kit I installed, the O2 sensor died within a couple of months and a found out a temp sensor was out of range. It was reading 20-30 degrees warmer than it actually was, so starts around zero degrees or colder were a little bit of a pain. Ended up selling that vehicle, but pulled the Sniper and put a carb back on before listing it.
Hi Dave what is the best way to contact you would like to get a plate if you have one

I’m in desperate need of a RFI shield as I’m experiencing similar issues I bought the one redline Motorsports sells but it’s not nearly as clean or snug a unit as yours please text me 248-961-8391 if u can help

Since I'm here, figured I'd do an update on how the system is doing. Last fall, I was out of town on my way home and the car started to run rough. It felt like it dropped a cylinder. Made it another hour to get home. Upon looking at it, one of the injectors died on the side the O2 sensor is on. Guessing it made the other side run really rich which was making it run rough. Ordered another injector and installed. All is good again.

The way it runs now is making me wonder if there was a problem starting a while back and never noticed. With that injector replaced, the car got really snappy. I never remember it being like that. On cool roads and in 2nd gear, have to be light on the throttle or the back end wants to get away. Seemed odd as 2nd was always planted pretty good.

On that same trip, the hub decided to pull off the water pump shaft, sending the fan into the radiator. Luckily, the fan broke and didn't cause any leaks in the radiator. A buddy came with another water pump and we swapped them out in a gas station parking lot...at 3:30 am.....in the rain. What a glorious night!

This car had a NOS radiator in it, the only one I could find. The parts store covered 100% of damage (water pump, fan, re-core radiator, and anything else if needed) By the way, a re-core on these cost $950.00.:( Store manager didn't seem to care, just wanted the car fixed. This is the last good parts store in town as far as I'm concerned and the only one I go to. Like I told him, I wasn't even mad, just confused on how that happened as I've never seen that before.

Oh, the new water pump now has a welded flange on it.:D Not gonna happen again.

Attachments

• 20230910_024515.jpg
    20230910_024515.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230910_025930.jpg
    20230910_025930.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230910_030109.jpg
    20230910_030109.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 10
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Since I'm here, figured I'd do an update on how the system is doing. Last fall, I was out of town on my way home and the car started to run rough. It felt like it dropped a cylinder. Made it another hour to get home. Upon looking at it, one of the injectors died on the side the O2 sensor is on. Guessing it made the other side run really rich which was making it run rough. Ordered another injector and installed. All is good again.

The way it runs now is making me wonder if there was a problem starting a while back and never noticed. With that injector replaced, the car got really snappy. I never remember it being like that. On cool roads and in 2nd gear, have to be light on the throttle or the back end wants to get away. Seemed odd as 2nd was always planted pretty good.

On that same trip, the hub decided to pull off the water pump shaft, sending the fan into the radiator. Luckily, the fan broke and didn't cause any leaks in the radiator. A buddy came with another water pump and we swapped them out in a gas station parking lot...at 3:30 am.....in the rain. What a glorious night!

This car had a NOS radiator in it, the only one I could find. The parts store covered 100% of damage (water pump, fan, re-core radiator, and anything else if needed) By the way, a re-core on these cost $950.00.:( Store manager didn't seem to care, just wanted the car fixed. This is the last good parts store in town as far as I'm concerned and the only one I go to. Like I told him, I wasn't even mad, just confused on how that happened as I've never seen that before.

Oh, the new water pump now has a welded flange on it.:D Not gonna happen again.
AHHHH, the Roadkill life!!