Paint and Body hood decal

junkyardwarrior

Jan 10, 2011
93 LX coupe, 4 cylinder turbo (SVO).

In paint shop. Royal blue original color. I was thinking about either painting or having a decal (wrap) made to fit the raised section of the hood. I thought about the 85 GT decal but it has the big "GT" on the front, and this car ain't a GT, so I think that would be weird. Anyone ever done something like this to theirs? Pics maybe? I'm not totally set on doing it, but just a [possibly] dumb idea that popped into my brain. I don't want go go nuts with it, just something to kind of break up the color maybe? Opinion?

• Sponsors (?)

When my vert got paint the green needed breaking up, just too much green, my painter did a black line around the car and black on the hood like the 86 gt but in stead of gt he did 5.0, now you could do the LX.
I'd do something other than black with the royal blue, maybe gray?
What color is the interior?

Hood paint.jpg
For an idea for hood paint scheme ...

I did this a few years ago. Didn't keep it because of a paint/body work issue but I may still use it with another custom hood I am working on.

It is inspired by the 71 and 69 Mach 1 hood treatments. It is basically straight offset from the rear half/ 2/3 of the hood line, then it curves in to line up parallel to the hood line by the headlights. I then turns horizontal across the front, connecting to the other side. I added an outline stripe to accent it.

Graphic Express makes an "LX Hood Blackout Decal" that looks to be a GT decal without the GT cutout. It's made for an 85-86 though, so not sure how it would look on a 93 hood.

Graphic Express makes an "LX Hood Blackout Decal" that looks to be a GT decal without the GT cutout. It's made for an 85-86 though, so not sure how it would look on a 93 hood.

That's pretty much what my painter did on my 92 vert with the 5.0 on the drivers side corner.

This is what I did with the hood on my ‘87 4830C6D0-BEA3-4D37-96F8-79335CFF5D37.jpeg
It was done in paint, matching the lower half as it’s a factory two tone, with a pinstripe around the edge so the break doesn’t look so sharp. 54D737D6-D4B2-4567-BF61-33AC6C001C07.jpeg
It’s hard to see the pinstripe, but it’s there

Reactions: 1 users
That's kind of what I was after. Ideas.

The cowl vent is black and it lines up perfectly with the raised section of the hood, that's why I thought black (or at least a dark charcoal) would probably be "best". But I can visualize a grayish color.

Interior is Opal. Has 07 V6 seats which I love (cloth, dove grey). Those may get dyed to a closer match to Opal, to look more "normal". Rest of the interior is nice, and more or less original LX (crank up windows too).

when it comes back from paint I'll evaluate more.

B9F6C61C-9554-452F-BDF6-6DA5E40A4185.jpeg
A6C32856-2CAB-4B8D-9244-9C731886524A.jpeg

You would not need to stick with flat black if it does not contrast enough with the blue. (I like the first pic.) pinstripes or wider stripes could do the shape.
If you are going to have a wrap place print out something, a cobra from 79-80 would be a good starting place for something not subtle at all.

Attachments

• 357C46DA-FBF8-42C7-80D4-65F092DAA098.jpeg
    357C46DA-FBF8-42C7-80D4-65F092DAA098.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 1 user