hood flex, hood shake

sealionbeast

Apr 1, 2005
I know this has been addressed in previous threads, but I can't seem to find one that discusses a solution. My hood looks like it is coming loose at speeds over 80mph. The faster I go the worse it gets. Is there a fix yet?

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Little off topic... But kinda relavent. I read an interesting article in one of the (ALL) of the current Mustang mags I just bought...

Remember the CAN-AM race where the hood blew off the Beige car? They found there was 300 PSI of pressure entering the engine compartment and it ripped the hood latch out (The hood landed in the pits).

This is part of why the GT 500 gets heat extractors; They relieve pressure as well.

Moral of the story? Tighten the snubbers, about 2 turns CCW.

So, after all this time, is the hood shake issued solved? Is there a TSB on this?
After 2 years is there a real answer to this or is the procedure:

adjust hood stops to level out to fender line (done that)
add gas hood struts
get out the drill and add hood pins

After several hours of reading post it looks like this is the answer.

I can't believe there is not a TSB on this 2 year old problem or the aftermarket does not have some replacement cowl piece with vents in it or something, maybe a hood brace or something.

Can anyone provide an answer, and not more stories about yea mine does that too?:bang:

So, after all this time, is the hood shake issued solved? Is there a TSB on this?
After 2 years is there a real answer to this or is the procedure:

adjust hood stops to level out to fender line (done that)
add gas hood struts
get out the drill and add hood pins

After several hours of reading post it looks like this is the answer.

I can't believe there is not a TSB on this 2 year old problem or the aftermarket does not have some replacement cowl piece with vents in it or something, maybe a hood brace or something.

Can anyone provide an answer, and not more stories about yea mine does that too?:bang:

Look at the front of your car. It's basically a big rectangle. Rectangles aren't that aerodynamic, in fact, they aren't at all. So instead of "splitting" the air, your trying to drive a greased brick into it. The air has nowhere to go so it finds places and under your hood is one of them. Either raise the hood a little and if that doesn't work, lower it. What I did was made the passenger side of the hood about a 1/2 turn lower than the drivers side (I can't stand seeing something uneven and when I'm driving I can't see the passenger side line). I've been 110~ at the track with zero hood flex and about 90 on the freeway with zero flex also.

There is not a TSB and most likely wont have one, it's just something inherent with these cars and most likely Ford wont fix it because you technically shouldn't be going 80mph. There isn't a speed limit out there that is 80mph ;)