Hood shake!

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
So I have hood pins on the way for x-mas but thought with the wind we've been having and the long drive to work I might not have a hood to put the pins on come xmas. So I decided to try the home remedy. I raised the bump stops about 1/2 turn and put 1/2" weather stripping above the head lights and metal piece next to it. What a diffrence! No shake what so ever up to about 95mph then it starts but very slighty. Id say a 90% decrease in flutter. Now this is just in a straight windless road, once I got to the windy side of town and hit the 40-50mph crosswinds it got bad. Nowhere near as bad as before but still noticeable. Id say an excellent temporary fix until one can get hood pins to really put the mind at ease at speed:D. Oh and to make matters worse I just got my 3dcarbon eleanor grille:drool: which is super open compared to stock!

• Sponsors (?)

you can always fabricate a panel to go behind the grill to limit the open area. just a simple flat piece of sheet metal with two bends to wrap around the top and bottom of the grill would work. paint it black and nobody would be the wiser.

I had the 3D Carbon Eleanor grille and had no hoodshake problems to 150. I've recently installed Scott Drake hoodpins (just in case) and Street Scene black chrome upper and lower grilles. Won't have the car out with the new mods for a few more months.

According to the Red Green Show, you should duct tape the hood down until Christmas and the pins arive. You should be good up to about 317 mph. I wouldn't do it, but then again, i don't have my own tv show! Your call

According to the Red Green Show, you should duct tape the hood down until Christmas and the pins arive. You should be good up to about 317 mph. I wouldn't do it, but then again, i don't have my own tv show! Your call

if the women dont find you handsome, at least they will find you handy!!!!

I have an alternate method of reducing hood shake...

cowlhood2.jpg

Or, how to make an 8" cowl hood.

Attachments

• cowlhood2.jpg
    cowlhood2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 75
DAMN! THATS A BUTT LOAD OF SNOW! The only thing that will pile that high around here is sand lol