Horn not working, alternatives?

HuebyStang94

Aug 25, 2004
STL
Hey all,

My horn has never worked. I'm not sure why, or where to begin to look. Recently I removed the horns in the fender to make room for mods. I now am moving and need to pass an inspection.

I'm debating try to hook up the old horn and figure out what is wrong, or buying an aftermarket horn to hook up (from who?). Anyone have any experience playing with the horn on our cars???

• Sponsors (?)

If Joe's idea doesn't work for the inspection :D :

There's a horn relay in the engine compartment fusebox. Lift the relay up a hair and get your meter lead on the terminals. Look for two constant 12 volt terminals. Then when the horn button is depressed, look for a ground signal from the horn to the relay, and then another 12 volt reading on the (last) terminal.

If you have all that, the issue is the horn(s) it/themselves. Make sure they're properly grounded and that 12 volts is reaching them when the horn button is depressed.

Often times, the issue is with the horn-pad adjustment. If this is the case, you will not get that ground signal to the relay, nor a 12 volt reading on the last horn relay terminal.

Also don't forget the fuse as well. It's not uncommon at all for the horns to develop an internal short.

Good luck.

When I had my truck with a PA system it seemed to work fine. it was actually alot more effective than any horn could ever be. Effective in pissing people off. :lol:

But if you need a horn just to pass inspection then just get a horn and wire it to a momentary switch and when they tell you to honk your horn, just press the button.

When mine stopped working, I checked everything. It ended up being the contacts for the horn located behind the airbag. Removed the bag, pulled the contacts out a bit, and cleaned the contacts. Now it works fine.

When mine stopped working, I checked everything. It ended up being the contacts for the horn located behind the airbag. Removed the bag, pulled the contacts out a bit, and cleaned the contacts. Now it works fine.

This was my issue too. When testing at the relay, I found that I never saw the ground pulse unless I pushed the horn pad just right.

This was my issue too. When testing at the relay, I found that I never saw the ground pulse unless I pushed the horn pad just right.

Yes that was my last resort. I didn't want to mess with the airbag at all. But it was pretty easy to remove it. When I did the stang, it gave me the courage to replace the steering wheel controls in my 02 explorer. I hate messing around with airbag stuff. :bang: