Horrendous beeping coming from my stereo

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
Was working on the 91 today replacing some burned out bulbs in the gauge cluster, and when I was done bolting everything together I turn the ignition on to check out the bulbs. When I did that this really loud constant beeping started coming from what sounds like the radio. I pulled the fuse (ign, on) but it continues until I turn the key off. Its a Sony Xplod CDX-GT21W, I checked the manual out from Sony's web site but it said nothing about it. Worst part is that it is totally random. Sometimes it doesn't do it, sometimes it does, and man is it nerve wracking. I've been driving this car for almost a year now and this has never happened before, anybody know what in the world is going on?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, that's what it was, lemme tell ya, that space was not designed for my hands that's for sure. :p I got it out though, more importantly the beeping it gone. Thanks for the help guys!

You'd be better served to resolve the fault condition that caused to start alarming, than removing it, unless you're comfortable with a non-functioning airbag? Typically, the air bag light in the gauge cluster being burned out is the cause of the alarm from the module, since the light is the usual indicator of a fault in the system, but without it, you wouldn't be aware of any issues, so the module alarms to indicate the fault condition.

You'd be better served to resolve the fault condition that caused to start alarming, than removing it, unless you're comfortable with a non-functioning airbag? Typically, the air bag light in the gauge cluster being burned out is the cause of the alarm from the module, since the light is the usual indicator of a fault in the system, but without it, you wouldn't be aware of any issues, so the module alarms to indicate the fault condition.

There was already a fault in the airbag system, the light was on all the time and the previous owner put a piece of electrical tape over the light. I removed the light/tape today causing the alarm to go off. I didn't know what it was though until warrior got me pointed in the right direction.