How can you check up on a scam?

fords2fast4u

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2000
Mission Viejo, CA
So this guy wants to sell me a GSX-R 750 right... and everything about the deal from the price, to the way the deal's going down, to the smell of it is just wrong.

I'll give you the short of it: the bike is priced at 60% of what it's worth, listed in NY, but when i saw i can come pick it up, he says he's in London... his DL is from FL, the title is from IL... and he won't use PayPal or COD and insists on using MoneyGram and InterMoversWorld.com

He sent me a tracking number for the bike, and the info: "digits... 2004 GSX-R 750" shipped by "" to "" are there... and the website looks legits, but when i emailed their service dept to check and see if they could verify the bike and its shipping details once i had the tracking number, the reply email was a little "off" (just like his grammer... b/c i don't think he speaks english very well).

now, I'm certain that this is a scam, and I'm not planning on sending anyone any money until i have a bike in front of me, (he wants 1/2 now, 1/2 after shipment) but my question is, is there a UK BBB equivilent that i can check up on this shipping company with? like, their site looks good, but could be an elaborate website built for this purpose you know.

and when i enter in the address to googl earth, it comes up as some apartments in london...

so, how can i check up on this shipper to prove that this is a scam? any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, i should just walk away, but I'm curious damn it! I found out that the FMC regulates international freight fowarders and they didn't have this random company listed... and neither does the BBB.

any other ideas?

i'm obviously not paying anyone, but I'm just curious as to why he would go to such great lengths to create the fake website and company, reply to their customer service emails, and have pics of the bike and a title scanned and everything... yet still have so many holes in his story.

yeah, i should just walk away, but I'm curious damn it! I found out that the FMC regulates international freight fowarders and they didn't have this random company listed... and neither does the BBB.

any other ideas?

i'm obviously not paying anyone, but I'm just curious as to why he would go to such great lengths to create the fake website and company, reply to their customer service emails, and have pics of the bike and a title scanned and everything... yet still have so many holes in his story.

He or she has nothing else to do. For every person who dosent fall for it, there will be 10 that do. Its easy money for them, and they will likely not get caught. :notnice:

aww! i just remembered that thread that was on here a long time ago. about the nigerian scammer guy who got a tattoo and all? i know some of you know what i'm talking about... can anyone post the link again? i need to save that thing!

It's a scam bro! Paperwork is spread out, grammer is off in the E-mail, 1/2 now, he'll ship the bike, then 1/2 after shipment.....Yeah...RIIIIGHT!!

IF you send him half the payment now, he won't ship you a bike, and you won't have to ship him the other half of the payment.

Like Mustang5L5 said about the old saying....well....there is another one

"Be smart, don't be a retart"

yeah, well now i've lined up a 93 cobra to buy, so i won't have the money to get the bike i guess... if it does happen to show up, I'll be able to pay for it, but we all know it won't. We'll see on the 26th! (he's now asking me for payment, but I'm not sending anything since i can't verify the shipper is a legit company, check out their website if you're curious intermoversworld.com)

I'll make sure to put an end to this story, but this almost makes me want to track him down through our DOIM (dept of information management) and charge him with my JAG office's help (b/c that wouldn't cost me any money).... almost... lol

Its a scam, you asked the question how do you "check up on a scam" cant really check up on one but there are some clear signs that it is one,:

1. wont use paypal and only wants to use form of payment that cannot be tracked
2. Is actually agreeing to send you the bike without full payment
3. Is in another country
4. Bad grammar

Your guy has all of those, and not to mention the mismatch of title/DL/actual location. stop talking to him now, and report him if you can.

I just went through the same thing. 2000 black saleen supposed to be 600 rwhp vortech, forged everything, ported bunch of stuff. $2900, said scam all over it but it didnt hurt to check it out. Basicly got the same exact story. So I emailed back and said this has scam written all over it, never got a reply! Imagine that one.

Seems legit to me. The shipping company is a member of the freight club.
logo-tfc.gif

We all know the first rule of freight club.