How Common/Rare was Black Leather interior in Fox Body Stangs ?

• Sponsors (?)

I have Black Leather in my 91GT Vert

I only seen it once in person, it was in a convertable.......and it was ruined from rain in the junk yard.:mad:

I have one and it's in great shape still!

I'm real curious to see how many more were actually produced.

http://katmanduonline.net/albums/My91GTVert/

photo1.jpg

Read this reply I got from another Mustang forum !!

They were in special addition Mustangs. Do a goolge search, you'll find them....

1990, mid year 1992 , & mid year 1993. From what I've gathered, from the factory 9,137 total leather interior Fox Mustangs were built, out of 1,235,610 total Fox Mustang from 1986-1993.

That comes out to .0073947%.

Read this reply I got from another Mustang forum !!

It's incorrect. They were in more than just the special edition Mustangs. Leather interior has been in the Mustang for a while. It was available in convertibles since 1985 with gray (85-93) white (87-93) and black (90-93) being available and then hatchback cars getting gray leather from 90-93

Black interior, for the most part, is not rare at all. It's just very desirable. There are even more rare interiors put in the Mustang. The 87-89 tan interior is rare...even more rare with the vinyl seats. Then there is the ALL blue and ALL red interiors in 90-93 (where the upper dash and wheel is also blue/red).

I don't think you'll even know true production numbers, especially on leather.

Last edited:
Here's another interesting reply from the other forum.....

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7861049#post7861049

Ford only made leather available on GT and LX 5.0 hatch backs between 90 and 93. No notch backs and anyone who says they have a notch back
with "factory" installed leather is incorrect as Ford did not release any option codes for leather upholstery for notchbacks. Someone put it there AFTER the car left the assembly line. The leather on the hatch backs was only available in titanium (90-92) or opal gray (93). There is no such thing as factory black leather on ANY fox body hatch back or notch back. Anyone that has a
Convertibles on the other hand could get black (90-93), white (87-93) or gray leather (85-93). Most of the time convertibles had 2 tones interiors with seats and door panels one color and dash, console and carpet another. Leather is most common on convertibles and I wouldnt consider it rare. I have seen many with it. Is it desirable? Only if it is a low mileage, garage kept car. The factory leather was not of the best quality and not known to be the most durable.
Again, the only way to proove anything is with a door tag picture. The door tag tells all!
Addendum.........Saleen's could have black leather, but that was with Recaro seating.