• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

How do I adjust my valves?

  • Thread starter Thread starter streetstang67
  • Start date Start date May 20, 2005

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
May 20, 2005
#1
  • May 20, 2005
  • #1
I've just installed a new cam and when I finally got the timing right to make the car start, the valves are ticking like crazy. What do I do to adjust them?
 
S

STSFCTN67

Member
Feb 5, 2003
450
0
16
Denver, CO
May 20, 2005
#2
  • May 20, 2005
  • #2
We need more information. What kind of heads/rockers do you have?
 

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
May 21, 2005
#3
  • May 21, 2005
  • #3
I have factory heads and rockers. I thought I had adjusted them correctly, because I followed the directions out of Hayne's Repair Manual, but something isn't right. Not only do I need to adjust my valves, but now I need to adjust my timing as well; or at least I assume I do, becuase I think I'll need to advance it to certain specs (which I don't know what they are).
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
May 21, 2005
#4
  • May 21, 2005
  • #4
If you've got the original 67 heads, you need to adjust them with the engine running. Tighten down till it starts to miss, back off till it smooths out, then tighten 1/4 turn.
 

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
May 21, 2005
#5
  • May 21, 2005
  • #5
I went through the heads, before I read your reply, and tightend each stud down when the valve was closed, until the rocker would no longer have any play in it, then 1/2 turn more. As I understand, that's what the directions said. But now, the car won't start. I'm so confused...I set the timing around 5* and yesterday it would run, but only if I held it around 2000rpms; and at least a couple of valves were ticking. After adjusting the valves as I described, I can't get the car to start.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
May 21, 2005
#6
  • May 21, 2005
  • #6
5 degrees BTDC is retarded too much, if you set it at 5 degrees ATDC, thats WAY to retarded and would be almost impossible to start. I set most of mine to 12 degrees BTDC. As for your adjustment, that sounds too tight as well, try tightening the rocker till the pushrod just starts to get hard to spin between your fingers, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn more.
 

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
May 21, 2005
#7
  • May 21, 2005
  • #7
What is the difference between BTDC and ATDC? I just used the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer as reference.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
May 21, 2005
#8
  • May 21, 2005
  • #8
BTDC-- Before Top Dead Center ATDC-- After Top Dead Center The fire needs to be lit before the piston reaches TDC, to get the maximum push on the piston. The explosion doesn't happen instantly, relatively speaking, so it needs to be set off before the piston gets to TDC to where the explosion pushes at the right time. All this happens in the blink of an eye, remember, electricity travels at the speed of light, but the explosion in the chamber doesn't.
 

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
May 21, 2005
#9
  • May 21, 2005
  • #9
Great, Thanks! I got the car running, but it will barely idle. I haven't adjusted the valves to be perfect yet, because I want to set the timing. I set mine at 12 TDC as you suggested, but as I said, it will barely idle. The factory specs for my engine call for 6, and comp says they machine their cams 4 degrees advanced. So, what should I set mine at?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
May 21, 2005
#10
  • May 21, 2005
  • #10
The cam timing's really got nothing to do with the ignition timing, they're two separate issues. Cam timing controls the events of the intake and exhuast flow, not the ignition of the charge. If it will barely idle warm with 12 degrees, try adjusting the carb's idle speed screw. Every engine I've set at 12 degrees BTDC idles fine at that, but it takes a mix of adjustments to the carbs idle speed and mixture screws to make it happen as well.
 

streetstang67

Member
Mar 5, 2003
573
0
16
Lexington, SC
May 21, 2005
#11
  • May 21, 2005
  • #11
alright, I think I have the valves and timing set prettty good. the problem now, is that as I drive it, it will randomly skip or miss about every 10 seconds +/-5. I'm not sure if this it the valves, timing, or carb??

EDIT: mabye its the valves, b/c you said tighten them until it starts to 'miss' then loosen. I adjusted a different way, becuase I don't see how its possible to adjust them with the engine running spitting hot oil and throwing the rockers around soooo fast.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Best place to source power steering parts for a '67? (control valve, ram, hoses)
  • SophiaTatum
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
160
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
SophiaTatum
S
My next project , a 428 build!
  • horse sence
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
  • 5 6 7
Replies
124
Views
2K
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Yesterday at 11:31 PM
horse sence
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
575
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
1
Crank no start on a turbo and cammed pushrod 5.0
  • 1630stri
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
2
Views
140
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 16, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Brakes FOX BRAKES ISSUES
  • PonyGTrider
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
53
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 31, 2026
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?