How do I check for spark?

im2damncool

Founding Member
Dec 28, 1999
Chico, CA
I have this whole checklist for why my car won't start and 1'st things spark. How do I check for it? And be REALLY specific assuming I know almost nothing about electricals. I did finally find my starter solenoid so that's a start. (get it, haha)

• Sponsors (?)

pull a plug wire stick in a rubber insualted handle screw driver and hold it next to the manifold while someone turns the car over.

if no one is around to help, put car in park or nutral if 5 speed set parking brake, turn key forward and jump the starter relay with another screw driver.

Or if one is more comfortable, buy a spark tester at the parts store and follow the directions. The other methods can have user-error if the air gap is too large.

Good luck.

pull the buut off the plug, put your finger over it, turn the motor over and if u feel a bite you got spark.....................j/k..........dont do it like that...buy a adjustable spark tester. it will test spark and how good of spark buy adjusting the dial..local parts store should have one.

I did that once by accident. Silly me decided it would be a good idea to pull a wire at a time off the cap to see what cylinder wasn't firing.

I got hit hard. Talk about pain!!! I was running around screaming like a sissy girl for a good 10 minutes.

Just use a spark tester you can get one at auto zone in the tool section.

THE-404.jpg

1 Gap the ignition tester to .35
2 Ground the tester on the block
3 Install any ignition wire on the tester
4 try to start the engine and look for a blue spark red spark is no good.

This is the safe way to test for spark.

This is the part I don't understand. Everybody says "connect a wire" or "jumper the ____". I don't know what it means to jumper something.
When talking about electrical stuff, "jumping" means bypassing a component, or connecting it to an alternative source of power. Jumping the starter relay, in this case means that you are going to energize the starter relay without using the ignition switch.

Taking a length of wire, and using it to connect the battery's positive terminal to the small, threaded post on the starter relay (the one that has the booted, red/blue wire pressed onto it), will energize the relay and run the starter without putting the ignition switch to the start position.

WHy would you need to jump the starter relay? I take it the engine cranks over, but it just won't start??

Go to sears and buy this little tool. It's made by Lisle and called a "spark indicator"

11W5F5TQ8WL._AA160_.jpg

Have a helper crank the engine over. If it lights up..you have spark

WHy would you need to jump the starter relay? I take it the engine cranks over, but it just won't start??

Go to sears and buy this little tool. It's made by Lisle and called a "spark indicator"

11W5F5TQ8WL._AA160_.jpg

Have a helper crank the engine over. If it lights up..you have spark

the issue with that is you will not know if you have a red spark. red spark is useless.

Just use a spark tester you can get one at auto zone in the tool section.

THE-404.jpg

1 Gap the ignition tester to .35
2 Ground the tester on the block
3 Install any ignition wire on the tester
4 try to start the engine and look for a blue spark red spark is no good.

This is the safe way to test for spark.

Yeah thats the way to go, I have used those since I was a kid playing with 3-wheelers and snowmobiles

pull out plug , hold in hand with wire still connected , get good friend to turn car over while holding plug in hand , you'll know if you have spark or not !:rlaugh: just joking !! don not try the way i just described it could cause extreme pain and uncontrollable laughter from said good friend! :rlaugh: :D

If you have the vehicle safely secured (car in neutral, emergency brake applied, etc), then jumping the solenoid trigger post to the battery lug will crank the engine over. If the key is off, the car cannot start. If the key is on, you can test for spark, as the car will try to start.