How do y'all like Virginia? Anyone live there?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
I think vehicular inspections are mandatory not matter what county? but emissions are not..depending on the county. I hate vehicle inspections!! Some dum bum grease monkey putn is hands on me car!! ARg! :bang:

So are there any particular counties to avoid? Any that are particularly better? Schools?

• Sponsors (?)

I like vagina....

Edit: sorry I misread that :rolleyes:

Up here we have inspections and emisisons only when the vehicle changes ownership IIRC, so no annual crap. But thats Canada so you can disregard what I'm writing.

Keith, I lived there from 69 to 90.......Once a year brakes were checked, lights , horns, mufflers, all were "visual inspections".......that was in Greensville County...
I don't know if they have upgraded to "sniffers'...I'll let you know...I am going to Virginia for Easter to visit the folks.....I'll ask my brother what type of testing they do.

I live in Northern VA. They are very strict up there when it comes to inspection. I live in Loudoun County (2nd fastest growing county in the US) so try to avoid them. Also avoid Fairfax and Prince William.

My car would most definitely fail emissions but I found a loophole. I went to the DMV and registered it at Montgomery County down here in Blacksburg VA (Virginia Tech). They don't require emissions, I'm not sure about inspections though.

Northern Virginia is a great place to live. I'd recommend moving to Loudoun County, particularly Leesburg. Stay away from Sterling, it's starting to get ghetto. Around the Cascades or Leesburg area, the schools are great. All of them are basically new since most of the communities around that area are still being developed. Great place for investment also, if you want to buy a new home. My folks bought our house back in 2004 for 500k, right now, it's worth about 1 million. So yeah, the housing market here is quite strong.

Good luck. Are you thinking of moving here?

I like it alot, but I hate the bigger cities/counties, thus why I live in Front Royal, schools arent the greatest but they are ok, Just a quick visual inspection, no emissions. And avoid anything close or in DC, stay away from that place :(

I live in MD but not far from the VA line and i would say stay clear of Alexandria or any of the surrounding areas of DC, just a mess in so far as traffic and urban sprawl but probably the richest area in the country outside of southern California. Western VA in the blue ridge is awesome, thats where i'd look into. I'm hopefully going to JMU next year so i'll be living in Harrisonburg if i do.

Thanks guys. Yes, I am thinking of moving there. I thought it was amazing that some counties did not require emissions yet. Wow wytstang that is an awesome pick of the outdoors too!

Has anyone heard of the ms13 gang? That may be the ghetto you were talking about. I heard they are in Northern VA and the local police are out to get them. Look them up on you tube and it will freak you out.

MS13 is a very very dangerous gang I would not want to be on there crap list. As far as the cops out to get them, well I hope they do shut that gang down but I doubt it. I saw a documentary(sp?) on them and how the had to have a entire jail just for them cause they were killing off opssing gangs (this was in Mexico). Freaking crazy..Back on topic Ga and Va would be the top 2 states I would love to live in for the rest of my life.

MS13 is a very very dangerous gang I would not want to be on there crap list. As far as the cops out to get them, well I hope they do shut that gang down but I doubt it. I saw a documentary(sp?) on them and how the had to have a entire jail just for them cause they were killing off opssing gangs (this was in Mexico). Freaking crazy..Back on topic Ga and Va would be the top 2 states I would love to live in for the rest of my life.

Yeah there are MS13 in Northern VA, but honestly it's not too bad at all. If you're walking around Arlnington at 2am with a sign saying "I hate MS13" then you're ****ed, or if you're in a rival gang (which I highly doubt). Other than that, they are harmless. They live in the older cities, (Arlington, Sterling). They aren't in the richer parts of Nova.

I lived in Fairfax for 6 years and liked it a lot. Most of it is pretty expensive, though. I went to George Mason University most of the time I was there and only lived a half mile away, so I never dealt with traffic on a daily basis. DC was great to visit, but traffic anywhere in Northern VA is pretty bad. Atlanta is probably as bad or worse, except people commute from further distances to work in DC it seems. Emissions is rough in Northern VA too.

Virginia was a great place to live and there are tons of beautiful places there. I miss Fall the most there, because the changing color of the leaves was 10 times more than I've ever seen before.

I'm in Georgia now and like it a lot. Bad traffic for work, but I live out of the city and some rich guy owns 20+ acres of mostly woods along the backside of my property (aka peace and quiet!). I only own 1 acre with a house, but the fact that there are only two houses near me (40 yards away on either side) in the cul de sac AND I have no houses within sight of my backyard.......I couldn't be happier. Plenty of wildlife (deer, fox, etc). I mention all of this, because I think I could be really unhappy here IF I didn't find a good safe neighborhood and a property with the features I "need" the most.

Whatever you choose, take your time and make sure you get what you need. Plenty of great places in Virginia and plenty of small towns and large cities to choose from. Small towns moreso means light emissions standards. I'd grab a map and then check out several counties online at their chamber of commerce websites.