Virginia - Vehicle Inspections

Icecold

Founding Member
Mar 3, 2002
3rd Rock from the Sun
Hey Guys,
I currently live in Florida where there are no vehicle inspections or emissions testing but will be moving to Virginia in the spring and wondering if anyone has any problems getting their modified Mustangs thru vehicle inspections.

My 89 has been bored to a 306 w/ alum heads, ported intake, cam, etc...I have removed the smog pump, egr spacer and catalytic converters. I'm wondering if I will have any problems passing inspection.

Thx in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt they'll care about anything but missing cats. It really depends where you're moving to. Higher populated areas are more pressured by cops. I've had my car inspected by a place in a rural area, and they didn't even notice cats were missing. I told them to just give me a reject sticker, but they had to inspect it anyways. They asked me later why I asked for a rejection, but I never told them.

Hey,

I'm pretty sure your car won't pass inspection becuase you don't have cats. My friend puts on his stock exhaust when he gets his car inspection so he can pass inspection.

check these links out

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

Virginia Emissions Inspection and Tunes - MustangForums.com

Thanks for the links and thanks to the others who responded. I will be moving to the Richmond area.

Since I'm looking to put on long tube headers and an x-pipe to replace my old shorty headers and now rusting h-pipe, might have to look into some racing style cats.

I was looking to go with Bassani, they say their x-pipe with cats has no real power loss vs. their non cat x-pipe. I see that Magnaflow has a race version as well.

Anyone have any experience with either brand?

I see that I will have problems with my window tint as well!! :notnice:

The only place where they are really strick on emissions is in northern VA. As long as you are not moving there your smog stuff missing is no big deal. The cats all depend on where you take it. At my shop unless its leaking we don't fail it, but like I said it all depends on where you take it.

I live in Richmond, everything would typically be fine, and there are no emissions here. Technically, most of your car is illegal though.

Inspections don't bother with tint at all, and I haven't had cats on my cars in 4 years without a problem.

I'd try to pass it as is at a regular shop or gas station, non-chain. If you fail, you have 14 days (99% on this may days) to fix the problem and the inspection will be a $1 after that. I have never had my hood open for an inspection for my mustang or my non stock sti that had a clearly visible (grate in the hood) non stock engine.

The rules here suck, but they are rarely enforced.

YOUR TINT WILL GET YOU TICKETS :( I've had at least 5 or 6 tint tickets, my tint is 18%, but any dark tint at ALL gets a ticket usually. Tickets are ~$107