How Does This Combo Look? (fti Cam, By Ed Curtis)

stealth886

Oct 29, 2016
So I am no engine expert by any means, that is why I decided to go with Ed Curtis at FTI to grind me a custom camshaft. This is what my combo will be:

331 Rotating Assembly
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust
Ported 1993 Cobra Intake Manifold (by TMoss)
Long tube headers
36 LB injectors
AOD with stall converter
4.11 Rear gears

Here are the cam specs he made for me:

ADV Duration: IN 278, EXH 282
DUR @ .50: 226/230
Valve Lift: .607/.585
Lobe Sep: 112.0

Can someone that is good with engines and obviously has more experience than me chime in on this combo, and if you think this camshaft will mesh well with my combo. Will this camshaft sound aggressive?

• Sponsors (?)

What specs of a camshaft make it necessarily sound aggressive? Piston to valve clearance has been measured and the cam has been degreed. Is a few months off from being put in the car, and I am dumb when it comes to what the different specs of the cam mean, as far as duration and lobe separation. Thank you for the reply.

Overlap,duration,centerline,etc will give you an idea of the "sound" as far as that goes. Knowing Ed and looking at those numbers...it will have some "lope" and run well in the mid/upper rpms(3-6k). The heads and intake will be the limiting factor in the long run(if wanting more). Your combo sounds fairly stout and will be a nice street/strip combo.

Overlap,duration,centerline,etc will give you an idea of the "sound" as far as that goes. Knowing Ed and looking at those numbers...it will have some "lope" and run well in the mid/upper rpms(3-6k). The heads and intake will be the limiting factor in the long run(if wanting more). Your combo sounds fairly stout and will be a nice street/strip combo.
Thank you for your reply. I am excited to get it together and get it on a dyno.

He ground the one in my 331 with AFR's and HSM2.

.613/.588
.227/235

It's really a toss up without knowing what cam lobe profiles be used, but he does know his stuff. Did you go with the recommended Springs?

Joe

Yes, I bought his kit. Cam, LS style dual valve springs and push rods. I am using Comp Cams low travel hydro roller lifters. In your opinion, are you making the most power out of your combo with his cam?

To my amateur eye, it looks like he's gone with pretty aggressive duration for street motors, but the lobe profiles are keeping the LSA up at ~112. In the first combo that makes a lot of sense given the 302 parts. In RangerJoe's combo, I'm not so sure about that, because 185s and the HSM2 intake are pretty good matches to the displacement.

Trust Ed. There are few at his level in the game.

Yes, I bought his kit. Cam, LS style dual valve springs and push rods. I am using Comp Cams low travel hydro roller lifters. In your opinion, are you making the most power out of your combo with his cam?

It wasn't an all out max build. I asked to keep it streetable, enough vacuum for power brakes and a max rpm of 6500.

I am sure I could make more power if I specified that as my intentions.

Joe

I'm no expert, but, looks like it should idle steady (sporty, but steady) and have a wide power band... which is what you want with an AOD(wide ratios).
Idle... aggressive to me means like it has a rhythm to it... as in sounds like it's going to.... quit-catches for a moment-stumbles-sounds like a miss-beats like a bass drum on meth for a moment and then repeats....
I think yours will be much more civilized than that, all while sounding like business.
With a close ratio standard trans, I would not like that cam, but, with an AOD I'm betting you're on the money.