How easy is it to swap fuel pump ?

Stangfreak95

add a 4
Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
In your sister. If none, your mom
First of all, I have to say that I dont have access to a lift or hoist for this. I did all kind of stuff myself in my driveway since i have my stang...Headers, exhaust, control arms, front struts, driveshaft, etc. Is it pretty simple to do ? How would you do it ? I only have (2) little hydraulic jacks and (4) jackstands..

Thanks for the help..
Mario

• Sponsors (?)

You have to drop the gas tank but it can be done in your driveway. I've yet to do it even though I have a 190lph to install. But my brother has with a floor jack and jackstands.

Oh yeah one thing I just remembered. Make sure there isnt much gas in the tank or it will be a PITA. Try and get it down as low as you can.

I did it on a lift in less than an hour with someone only helping me lower the tank to the ground. But without a lift would still be easy, just have someone there to help you lower the tank. And make sure you have the ford fuel line quick disconnect tools. Replace the fuel filter too.

It sounds a lot harder than it is. I did it myself with a 2 jackstands and a floor jack. It took me about 4 hours, but that's because I'm slow. Check out the link below for some good instructions.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/scinpump.html

A lift would have been nice but it's not required. Just jack the car up as high as you can. Use the floor jack to help you lower the tank and get the kind of fuel disconnect tools that wrap around the connection (the doughnut shaped ones). Good luck.

fpchart1.jpg

fpchart2.jpg

fpchart3.jpg

Hope this helps, Good Luck. :nice:
I did mine with 2 jack stands and a floor jack.

Just cut a hole in your trunk over your fuel pump, that what I did, and i can change a fuel pump in less then 10 minutes. I used a jig saw, and cut a square hole, I was careful and took my time so I would not cut anything, and covered the hole up with the carpet and battery box. You can't even tell it is there. I am even thinking of hinging the piece I took out for a door. I will never have to drop the tank again. However, it is really easy to do with an empty tank, you can probaly do it by yourself, but if the tank is full you will need help. Thats what happend to me(full tank no help), and I just made the decision to cut. Glad I did, its a piece of cake now. Just my .02