Fox How Full Is Full?

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
When you fill your tank? Does the gas level get above the filler neck grommet? Who knows this stuff?

The reason I ask is because the filler neck grommet for a fairmont tank appears to be obsolete, and I had to use a Mustang piece instead. The filler necks are significantly different, and I had to hog the hell outta the grommet to get my honkin' fairmont filler tube to fit the grommet. Now that it has been done however, I start thinking that if the fuel level is higher than that grommet, I'll probably have a leak because of it.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think the fuel level is higher but the sloshing around is what you have to worry about. Corners etc could cause some splash out. Any chance you can work it to where a fox filler neck (or diameter) works in it?

I don't think the fuel level is higher but the sloshing around is what you have to worry about. Corners etc could cause some splash out. Any chance you can work it to where a fox filler neck (or diameter) works in it?

That is a plan "B". I'm also now considering (Plan "C"), eliminating the side fill altogether, and running another fill tube (custom made) through the spare tire well and welding a stub into that bulging part that runs opposite, but higher of the filler neck grommet, so I can get more capacity, rear fill the thing, and seal the side access door altogether. I can then just use an ordinary rubber filler neck coupler to mate the welded stub, to a rear fill filler neck that I'll locate behind the hinged license plate.

If his grommet isnt sealed tight, gas fumes will come out from it. Since its right at the tank said vapor will release even more than say removing your charcoal canister. Think opening the vent on a gas can, Allot of gas vapor is released, in a hot garage itll be allot....

Mike, when you fill your tank and the pump automatically shuts off.. It's because the fuel level has reached the dispenser nozzle. Try filling a gas can to the tippy top with the nozzle fully engaged. You can't do it without retracting the nozzle most of the way from the can. So, to answer your question; yes, the fuel will fill the neck when you fill up.

Reactions: 1 user