Interior and Upholstery How I Fixed My Broken Instrument Bezel Brackets

wiseguyk

5 Year Member
Sep 23, 2016
Florida
I've been plagued with a bouncing speedometer needle since I bought the car and a new cable and speedo gear later, am still having the same problem. I finally got around to pulling out the cluster and sending it in to be fixed last week. While I'm waiting to get that back from the repair shop I figured I'd try to fix up my broken instrument bezel.

Both of the bottom mounting brackets were cracked and broken and the upper left mounting bracket on the dash side was broken and missing completely. This caused the previous owner to apply a laughable amount of strip caulk and other mystery adhesive to try and keep the sucker in place. None of that worked very well of course and resulted in an instrument bezel that rattled and moved back and forth, being mostly held in place by the only metal bracket on the right side.

I was able to fix these issues by crafting new brackets using ABS plastic, a heat gun, and some super glue and am really pleased with how well it came out. I figured I'd share some pics in case it helps anyone who wants to try and fix their old cracked bezel.

Lower right before:
IMG_20161021_173627.jpg

Lower left before:
IMG_20161021_173641.jpg

Left side dash (I forgot to take a true before pic so this is after cleaning up the broken bits):
IMG_20161022_120102.jpg

After removing the old broken brackets and prepping the surface for the new ABS bracket:
IMG_20161021_181828.jpg

I cut the ABS strips to fit tightly inside the reinforced plastic channel inside the bezel and then just sanded both sides, cleaned them, applied super glue gel, and clamped them together to adhere. I made the bends in the ABS with the heat gun and edge of the table before removing the old bracket completely (so I knew the proper angle to bend) and drilled the mounting holes after test fitting to the bezel.

You could probably do both of these steps after gluing to the bezel but at the time I wasn't sure how solidly it would adhere and was worried about putting undue stress on it with the drilling/bending. The super glue bond is REALLY strong though and I think you could drill/bend the new brackets after gluing them to the bezel which could be a bit easier than doing it beforehand.
IMG_20161021_192451.jpg

Right side done. It's solid as a rock!
IMG_20161021_193119.jpg

Left side:
IMG_20161021_194227.jpg

I was a bit less messy with the super glue on the 2nd one:
IMG_20161021_194817.jpg

Finished product:
IMG_20161021_195429.jpg

IMG_20161021_195031.jpg

I tested the fit in the car and to my amazement, everything lined up perfectly! I've apparently reached my picture limit and will post a reply showing the dash-side fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I figured the dash side fix might be more challenging, and it was, but only a little bit. I figured since I had so much luck with the superglue adhering the ABS plastic to the dash bezel that I would try something similar on the dash.

Beneath the hole for the mounting bracket, there is a small angled section of the dash structure that I thought might work for adhering my new bracket. I cut a strip of ABS as close to the size of the opening of the broken bracket, and bent it to the angle of the section. This one was trickier because I had to bend it twice really close together, but with some clamps and finally using the heat gun to heat the plastic and quickly put it in place in the vehicle, I was able to mold it to the correct shape.
IMG_20161022_120125.jpg

IMG_20161022_120140.jpg

Finished shaping:
IMG_20161022_120002.jpg

After making a crude hole for the metal tab that the screw bites into:
IMG_20161022_121912.jpg

Just like with the bezel brackets, I sanded and cleaned both surfaces thoroughly before applying the super glue in hopes of maximum adherence. Here's the end result:
IMG_20161022_123317.jpg
IMG_20161022_123310.jpg
IMG_20161022_123300.jpg
IMG_20161022_123305.jpg

Just let me know if you guys have any questions and I'd be happy to explain more :)

Reactions: 5 users
Nice work, using the ABS, super glue and a heat gun seems to be a very good way to make things.

I haven't got any ABS plastic, so I usually use aluminum. However after seeing the success you had with the plastic, I really should consider using it instead. I have a large piece of clear acrylic plastic that I should try and see how well it would work for similar jobs.

Thanks for posting the details and pictures for the rest of us to benefit by.

Joe R.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice work, using the ABS, super glue and a heat gun seems to be a very good way to make things.

I haven't got any ABS plastic, so I usually use aluminum. However after seeing the success you had with the plastic, I really should consider using it instead. I have a large piece of clear acrylic plastic that I should try and see how well it would work for similar jobs.

Joe R.
I vote for this to be a sticky thing, if I'm allowed, I think I remember one of mine being buggered up so when I do that fog light upgrade it can get fixed. Rattels and loose crap annoy me.

Joe R.

Thanks Joe! I really wanted to try and give back to this awesome community that has helped me immensely since getting back into the Foxbody game after a 10+ year hiatus. Your posts in particular have saved me more than a few times so much so thanks for all of your contributions!

I was very pleased with how well the ABS adhered and how strong it is. I figured if it didn't work, I'd be back to searching on eBay for another bezel (which are a pretty penny if you can find them without the same broken bracket issues) and if it did work then I'd be out maybe $10 between super glue and ABS.

I should be getting my gauge cluster back this week and can't wait to get everything installed. Slowly but surely the rattles will be vanquished mwahahaha!

The very first black dash I put in my Fox had the two top mounts broken. Annoyed the hell out of me. Got lucky in that I came across a nice black dash in mint condition at a bone yard for $50, and swapped that in.

But the black dash has been sitting for 10+ years because nobody wants to buy it with the top mounts busted. Would be nice to fix it so that I could sell it. I'll have to look into this.

The very first black dash I put in my Fox had the two top mounts broken. Annoyed the hell out of me. Got lucky in that I came across a nice black dash in mint condition at a bone yard for $50, and swapped that in.

But the black dash has been sitting for 10+ years because nobody wants to buy it with the top mounts busted. Would be nice to fix it so that I could sell it. I'll have to look into this.

When I bought the car the guy gave me a blue dash from an 88 that is pretty rusty but in bit better condition than mine. It's an old FHP car and has holes in various places in the dash and console from mounting the radio, radar, and misc police equipment so he gave it to me thinking I'd want to swap it at some point. I like that it has those holes and stuff though, gives it character so I don't think I'll be swapping :D

That being said though, it was nice to be able to cheat a little bit and use the other dash as a reference since it actually has the top mounts intact. I also stole the metal screw tabs from it. My right side mount is broken too, but not so badly that it won't hold the screw tab. I'll take some pics when I get my cluster back showing the fit and everything.

Nice write up. I'm currently working on a '91 that the speedo needs some work. If you don't mind me asking where did you send yours? I've spoken to a couple of places and they both seem like they are a little apprehensive to work on it.

Nice write up. I'm currently working on a '91 that the speedo needs some work. If you don't mind me asking where did you send yours? I've spoken to a couple of places and they both seem like they are a little apprehensive to work on it.

Thanks man! I'm in Florida and ended up going with a company called Southern Speedometer in Clearwater. The guy there, Randy, is a great dude and very knowledgeable. When I called him to ask if he could fix it we chatted for probably 10min about my car and he seemed to know exactly what needed to be done. I heard back from him earlier today that he finished the repair. He replaced the magnet and shaft (not sure if that's exactly the name for the parts) and also gave it a full looking over (illumination bulbs, odometer, gauges, cleaned the clear cover, etc).

So assuming I get it tomorrow and it actually works, I would 100% recommend Southern Speedometer. It cost me $175, which was on par or cheaper than a couple other places I checked with.

My buddy at work has a 97 Cobra and we actually sent them over together. His odometer wasn't working and I think Randy charged $150 to fix that.

Thanks man! I'm in Florida and ended up going with a company called Southern Speedometer in Clearwater. The guy there, Randy, is a great dude and very knowledgeable. When I called him to ask if he could fix it we chatted for probably 10min about my car and he seemed to know exactly what needed to be done. I heard back from him earlier today that he finished the repair. He replaced the magnet and shaft (not sure if that's exactly the name for the parts) and also gave it a full looking over (illumination bulbs, odometer, gauges, cleaned the clear cover, etc).

So assuming I get it tomorrow and it actually works, I would 100% recommend Southern Speedometer. It cost me $175, which was on par or cheaper than a couple other places I checked with.

My buddy at work has a 97 Cobra and we actually sent them over together. His odometer wasn't working and I think Randy charged $150 to fix that.

Thanks for the info. I'll be giving them a call. That's half what I was quoted at other places.

Thanks for the info. I'll be giving them a call. That's half what I was quoted at other places.

No problem at all :) I reinstalled the cluster and put the dash back together on Tuesday after work but haven't gotten a chance to drive it yet to test the speedo. The front end is currently on jack stands because I'm working on fixing a power steering hose leak. I hope to get that taken care of tonight and take it for a spin so I'll let you know if the speedo works.

Just an unrelated speedometer tip for you guys: if you have trouble getting the cable to reattach to the cluster, try putting a zip tie around the white plastic clip to hold it "open". I struggled with doing this by hand, but once I had the clip held open it went on nice and smoothly. Then just cut the zip tie to engage the clip and you're done.

Here's a pic of where to place the zip tie:
speedo cable - dash1.jpg

I also didn't realize you could completely pull out the inner cable from the dash side. The speedometer shop recommended pulling it out and lubing it with a thin coat of white lithium grease before reattaching to the cluster so I did that before reinstalling to try and make this one last as long as possible.

I figured the dash side fix might be more challenging, and it was, but only a little bit. I figured since I had so much luck with the superglue adhering the ABS plastic to the dash bezel that I would try something similar on the dash.

Beneath the hole for the mounting bracket, there is a small angled section of the dash structure that I thought might work for adhering my new bracket. I cut a strip of ABS as close to the size of the opening of the broken bracket, and bent it to the angle of the section. This one was trickier because I had to bend it twice really close together, but with some clamps and finally using the heat gun to heat the plastic and quickly put it in place in the vehicle, I was able to mold it to the correct shape.
IMG_20161022_120125.jpg

IMG_20161022_120140.jpg

Finished shaping:
IMG_20161022_120002.jpg

IMG_20161022_121912.jpg

Just like with the bezel brackets, I sanded and cleaned both surfaces thoroughly before applying the super glue in hopes of maximum adherence. Here's the end result:
IMG_20161022_123317.jpg
IMG_20161022_123310.jpg
IMG_20161022_123300.jpg
IMG_20161022_123305.jpg

Just let me know if you guys have any questions and I'd be happy to explain more :)
Hey where did you purchase the ABS material.

IMG_20161022_120125.jpg

IMG_20161022_120140.jpg

Finished shaping:
IMG_20161022_120002.jpg

IMG_20161022_121912.jpg

IMG_20161022_123317.jpg
IMG_20161022_123310.jpg
IMG_20161022_123300.jpg
IMG_20161022_123305.jpg

Hello, I own a 1990 Mustang and the same thing happened to my bezel housing. Would you be interested in making a couple of the plastic strips for the dash? If so, I would pay you well for them. This has been a major frustration to me and would love to get it fixed.

Thank you!!

Hello, I own a 1990 Mustang and the same thing happened to my bezel housing. Would you be interested in making a couple of the plastic strips for the dash? If so, I would pay you well for them. This has been a major frustration to me and would love to get it fixed.

Thank you!!

Hi, unfortunately the strips were one-off pieces I made with lots of checking and double checking for fitment so it wouldn't be possible for me to make ones for you that would fit without tweaking with a heat gun and test fitting in your car. It also depends how broken your bezel and dash mounts are.

It really isn't very hard to do, it just takes time and patience to get the fit right. If you have any specific questions about how I did it I'd be happy to answer them though :) Good luck!

Hi, unfortunately the strips were one-off pieces I made with lots of checking and double checking for fitment so it wouldn't be possible for me to make ones for you that would fit without tweaking with a heat gun and test fitting in your car. It also depends how broken your bezel and dash mounts are.

It really isn't very hard to do, it just takes time and patience to get the fit right. If you have any specific questions about how I did it I'd be happy to answer them though :) Good luck!

Ok, I understand. I am just at my wits end. Epoxy doesn't hold very well in this location. Both of the holes on the dash brackets are broken, but I still have the piece that they were attached to on the dash. I will take it apart and see what I can do. You have at least given me a starting point.

I suppose you glued the new plastic to the dash. How did you keep it there long enough to dry? Was it just regular SG, like Gorilla glue?