How I mounted a 65-66 aftermarket radio in the glovebox

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
This message might go in the Sound forum, but they don't ever seem to talk about classic mustangs there...

I have had a cd player in the glove box for years- and it just sits there- on top of a block of wood. Crappy way of doing it, but I could never figure out a good way to mount it. It moves when you turn, can't use the glove box, etc.

So, after many attempts with zip ties, wooden jigs, etc I came up with this. It involves using a flare tool, and attaching it to the radio, then clamping it to the bracket above the glove box liner.

Check it out if you have the same problem I had:

65-66 Stereo Mount

Bigger pictures here, without commentary:

http://pictures.hunterhicks.com/main.php?g2_itemId=6924&g2_enterAlbum=1

• Sponsors (?)

Wow. So simple. Another conundrum vanquished...that's exactly what I'm going to do. I posted a thread awhile back trying to figure out what to do cause there are no really good choices out there to fit the stock dash location. I'm going to pull the best looking junk AM radio out of the storage trailer, polish itup and put it in the hole, and strap a nice Kenwood radio up like you did. THANKS! I have the Classic auto air kit so I have no top in the glove box liner anymore. Will look great like that. AND can still use the plastic tray the kit came with under the radio.

Interesting idea, thanks.

My '65's dash had already been hacked-up by a previous owner, so rather than weld in a patch panel, I went ahead and opened up the mangled metal to fit a single-DIN sleeve. Now I have a digital-only Alpine tuner (USB and iPod input only, no CD player) in the dash. I bought a repro "radio delete" cover from Branda and glued magnets in the four corners - it hides the modern receiver and makes the car look "factory correct".