How important is tire rotation?

BigChiefSmokem

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
How important is rotating your tires when it comes to tread life of a set of tires? I'm going to be picking up some 18" chrome bullitts and may decide to go with a 10" deep lip on the back, which would obviously mean i couldnt rotate my tires every 5,000 miles or so... But i LOVE the look of those deep dish rims... So, how important is it and is it worth it in the long run for a daily driven car. (PS, i also drive my car for work daily approx 50 miles or more daily)

ALso, can anyone give me some CORRECT tire sizes for an 18x9 rim and an 18x10 rim that doesnt mess up the speedo and still looks good and provides good ride quality?

• Sponsors (?)

Ya, it just evens out the wear of the front and rear tires so when it comes time to buy tires all 4 are worn out instead of the rears going bald before the fronts. I don't rotate my tires just for the fact that I don't like spending the money to buy 4 new tires at once. I just buy 2 tires at a time twice as often as I would buy 4.

I rotate every other oil change or so and my tires wear great. Try never rotating your tires and you will be buying two new front tires well before you need to. Even if you did it every 8-10k that is better than nothing by far. Of course if you do burnouts all the time it doesn't much matter. Normal driving it is a must in my opinion.

BigChiefSmokem said:
ALso, can anyone give me some CORRECT tire sizes for an 18x9 rim and an 18x10 rim that doesnt mess up the speedo and still looks good and provides good ride quality?

This site will help pick the right size tire and tell you how much your speedo is off.

Tire sizes wheel dealers recomend:
18x9: 265/35/18
18x10: 285/35/18

These are not the only sizes will fit well or look good, it is just the suggested size. Although most people go bigger with their tire sizes, I don't think anyone goes smaller than these numbers.

Thundermouse said:
This site will help pick the right size tire and tell you how much your speedo is off.

Tire sizes wheel dealers recomend:
18x9: 265/35/18
18x10: 285/35/18

These are not the only sizes will fit well or look good, it is just the suggested size. Although most people go bigger with their tire sizes, I don't think anyone goes smaller than these numbers.

is 275 too wide for an 9" wheel?

It looks like 275/35/18 would give the most accurate reading for an 18x9 wheel and tire compared to stock 245/45/17

normal rotation is very important to tread life. if you dont rotate ya you wear out two tires at 3 times as aoften as if you rotate them like you should. Not rotating is like throwing your money away. But in the case of the deep dish wheels. YOu just have to know what your getting into.

propellerhead said:
I'm still not convinced that regular rotation extends the life of the tires. It just evens out the wear.
Agreed. Tire rotation is important,but I went for quality-not quanity. I'm using wider rears.I'll replace as needed. Also, If you use DR's, there goes the rotation.Have fun with your Stang.