How long does ford plan on producing GT500?

• Sponsors (?)

There are too many things still up in the air about the first year of production, let alone the answer to your question. I would hope they would continue to build as many as needed to meet demand.

The article I read (I believe it was in Autoweek) had Ford saying they would build as many GT500s as there was demand for them. Now the impression I get for the special editions like the rumored 2007 California Special Mustang is that they will be built in limited numbers.

The 2003 Mach 1 was supposed to be limited and Ford built about 3,000 more than originally planned. Also, the car sold for more than sticker in early 2003 with no rebate. Dealers in 2004 sold below invoice and Ford offered a rebate. Was that limited production? Ford is in business to make money. The company does that by building cars people will buy not by building limited edition collectibles.
If people want enough, they will build them. Though you could argue why aren't they building more GTs right now.

stanmckinney said:
The 2003 Mach 1 was supposed to be limited and Ford built about 3,000 more than originally planned. Also, the car sold for more than sticker in early 2003 with no rebate. Dealers in 2004 sold below invoice and Ford offered a rebate. Was that limited production? Ford is in business to make money. The company does that by building cars people will buy not by building limited edition collectibles.
If people want enough, they will build them. Though you could argue why aren't they building more GTs right now.

Well I think they have stated the demand for gt exceeded what they had planned on, otherwise there would be more out there I suppose