How Low = Too Low?

SeventyMach1

Keep it lubed .... keep it straight .... and keep
Mar 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well, I'm looking at a set of springs. My suspension is totally stock & has alot of miles on it. I'm sick & tired of the 4x4 look. These springs lower our cars 1.9" in the front & 1.7" in the rear. Are these good, or is this too much drop? Would I experience any problems? I plan on getting the MM C/C plates .... but what else should I get while I'm doing it?

BTW, I have 10.5" wheels (w/315's) out back. Think I'd run into any problems there?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you'd have a problem, that's about what the Eibach Sportlines do, since they say 1.7 to 2.3 inches on their website. The only thing I can think of off hand is maybe wanting to get some offset rack bushings? Not sure if you'll absolutely need them though, since I haven't lowered my car yet, but I'm looking at either the Pro Kit or Sportline springs myself.

To me, the sportlines are too low, and the pro-kit looks just about perfect. I would think that any thing lower than sportlines will look silly. There are a bunch of old threads requesting pics of cars at various drops. Look at those.

But hey, some people like the slammed look. Just not me. :nice:

Maximum Motorsports said:
Offset steering rack bushings move the rack far too much on stock K-Members, and make an acceptible situation far worse than if you had done nothing at all.

If you lower the car around 1.5" then you should get a bumpsteer kit, and some 2x ball joints to somewhat correct the geometry. Can it be done without? Yes.

Read this site Mustang Suspension. It helped me understand a lot more.

i was dropped about 2". it looked killer, but i would bottom out and scrape on speed bumps all the time. also, they couldn't align it with the factory plates, so my front tires are basically shot. it got old pretty fast.

just 2 days ago i had coil-overs, strange struts and mm c/c plates put in, so now i can adjust the ride height and the stiffness. :nice:

as far as getting anything else, i recommend upgrading the struts while you are in there. strange makes 10-way adjustable ones that are cheap compared to all other adjustable struts. i have them and everyone else who has has experience with them loves them.

i doubt you'd have problems with the wide tires.

GRGT1994 said:
There are a bunch of old threads requesting pics of cars at various drops. Look at those.

where is that thread anyway, the one that was just recently started? I tried searching for it to add mine, but couldn't find it.

In addition to what others have said...new struts and shocks would be a good idea if you have the funds. They are generally made to work better with the new springs. I cant remember what place sells the kit, but you can get the Mach 1 Tokico shocks and struts for $180 for the set...maybe somebody else can chime in with the place that offers this.

BlackVert said:
i was dropped about 2". it looked killer, but i would bottom out and scrape on speed bumps all the time. also, they couldn't align it with the factory plates, so my front tires are basically shot. it got old pretty fast.

just 2 days ago i had coil-overs, strange struts and mm c/c plates put in, so now i can adjust the ride height and the stiffness. :nice:

as far as getting anything else, i recommend upgrading the struts while you are in there. strange makes 10-way adjustable ones that are cheap compared to all other adjustable struts. i have them and everyone else who has has experience with them loves them.

i doubt you'd have problems with the wide tires.

i went basically the same route as him. i got strange coil-over kit with hypercoil springs and strange struts up front with mm c/c plates. in the rear i cut a coil off the spring and put in strange shocks with my new control arms.
to me it has the perfect stance really raked and it looks awesome. i probably dropped the front about 2" and the back about an inch. but i am more concerned with drag racing than ride quality really, it's a little choppy especially with my l/t's you have to be careful or they scrape. and my gt isn't my dd so i'm not too worried about bottoming out and all. so if i was you i would go with the 1 1/2" drop to be safe. just my 2cents

I have Eibach's too and I need CC plates. They cost a bit though. :(

For those of us not in the know, what is better for CC plates - steel or alum? (I know I could search, but there is probably bad info out there and it would take reading 500 threads to get a consensus). The info might help others reading this thread anyhow.......

HISSIN50 said:
I have Eibach's too and I need CC plates. They cost a bit though. :(

For those of us not in the know, what is better for CC plates - steel or alum? (I know I could search, but there is probably bad info out there and it would take reading 500 threads to get a consensus). The info might help others reading this thread anyhow.......
steel - aluminum cc plates can bend

BlackVert said:
steel - aluminum cc plates can bend
Thank you sir. :nice:

I kinda had a feeling about that (JRichker had posted the same info before, but I was not sure what advantage alum might have - otherwise why offer it?). Perhaps the alum units are cheaper or something.

Thanks again - I will hunt for steel units. :nice:

HISSIN50 said:
Thank you sir. :nice:

I kinda had a feeling about that (JRichker had posted the same info before, but I was not sure what advantage alum might have - otherwise why offer it?). Perhaps the alum units are cheaper or something.

Thanks again - I will hunt for steel units. :nice:

Get the MM one's! There were some problems with the spherical bearings wearing out (even with MMs) but they warranty the whole assembly.

justin, i would not worry about the rear, but what size tire do you have in front? you may need some additional steering rack travel limiters. 1.9 is really low and will result in unfavorable suspension geometry that will really need a bump steer kit--center drilled rack bushings required. having said that a competitive stang will be no lower than 1.5" in front for stated reasons. what is the spring rates?

stprorolla49 said:
i agree 100%...MM plates are made of billet steel which is the strongest plates made...and they dont have spherical bearings like others which wear out...

I thought they used the spherical bearings, also? :shrug:

From their website..
When engineering our Caster/Camber plates, we discovered that the only design which allows the necessary strut top movement is a spherical bearing.

Either way, its warrantied :nice:

I know you were interested in my springs so I'm kinda shooting myself in the foot by saying this :D, but I would go with the pro-kit or equivilent. If you go with anything lower, I would say the x2 balljoints and a bumpsteer kit are a must. I don't have either and my car bumpsteer's a good bit, especially with the 275's up front.

I've also heard that the pro-kit handles better than the sportlines due to the better geometry. I don't know how well the pro-kit handles, but my car handles awesome with the sportlines.

I've had sportlines for about 2 years and have nothing but good things to say about them. The stance is awesome and the handling is speechless over stock. But I am currently going to coil overs, but need to sell my sportlines first. Any one interested, let me know.

Jeremy