How Many Hours to Swap Intake Manifold?

SICK98STANG

May 19, 2005
Hey Fellas,

Was wondering how many of you guys have changed that dreaded Intake Manifold on your Stangs and How long did it take to swap it. If you guys have any tips or tricks to make it easier on myself I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

SICK98STANG

ya i changed mine in about 4 hours. and that was because i had to let the car cool down and 1 break. but i went ok except for on bolt on fastner on the coolent tube. there are 2 one is on really tight and i didnt have a tool to get it. but then again i was at a shop and they let me use a air tool. over all it is not that hard. AND WORTH EVERY BIT.

I just swapped my NPI intake to a PI intake last month. It is not that bad. Label all vacuum and electrical lines and use ziplock baggies to hold your different nuts and bolts and label them with a perm. marker. Take a few pics with a digital camera. Follow the torque sequence and specs. I also used a cordless ratchet. But most of all, take your time since you don't want to do this twice. It took me a couple of afternoons but I am slow. Good luck.

It took my buddy and me whole saturday, because we took our time doing everything right. (he is a fanatic about doing things right the first time) lunch breaks and picking up parts etc..

YES, it was worth all day saturday for me.

It's gravey after the first time, on a 96-97 it's a little longer to replace the waterpump nipple, but on my 98 i can do it in about an hour and a half.

the plugs only plug in thier specific sockets andf the vacuum lines are pretty easy to remember. Of course if you have ever tried to search for a vacuum line leak on a rotory motor ours is nothing.

Took me about 4 hours total and that was with a stubborn nipple that I ended up finding out it was the newer version and didn't need replacement. Good idea to keep a wet dry vac handy in-case some coolant gets down some of the ports.