Fox How many layers of jute felt in your hatch?

CtCarl

Apr 27, 2002
Southern Connecticut
So I was scrubbing up the interior of my '87 LX and decided to steam the carpet in the hatch.

When I pulled it up I was reminded that there are four layers of jute felt in there; one is permanently attached to the carpet backing, then there are two more layers which are attached to each other with a layer of black sound deadening material, and finally a fourth layer between the spare tire cover and the double-layer sandwich.

Just curious if they're all like that. Seems unlikely.

• Sponsors (?)

I have two THICK layers plus the layer that is part of the hatch carpet. It’s HEAVY. The cardboard is at the bottom but no layer between it and the hatch floor.

original as far as I know as the car was 100% stock when I got it. Been debating removing it, but nah.

The ACC replacement carpet did not come with that much, although it seems like a lot. I am sure the factory felt in my earlier hatch was also very thick. I have been wondering if some sound mat material might be more effective and how much it would weigh. The factory spray on (tar or asphalt?) has to be heavy and a PITA to remove.

My '86 has a lot of padding under the hatch carpet, so sounds like that was standard based on everyone else's reports...Mine has two 3/4" layers plus another 3/4" layer glued to the underside of the hatch carpet.

Last edited:
The ACC replacement carpet did not come with that much, although it seems like a lot. I am sure the factory felt in my earlier hatch was also very thick. I have been wondering if some sound mat material might be more effective and how much it would weigh. The factory spray on (tar or asphalt?) has to be heavy and a PITA to remove.

I guess it depends on what they were trying to address with the padding. My '87 has a material between felt layers #2 and #3 that is clearly similar to Dynamat or duct insulation without the foil backing, although the later Foxbodies seem to have the spray-on material instead.

It just seems so weird that between de-engineering and corporate cost-cutting, Ford would have put nearly an inch and a half of jute felt in there.

I just removed all that in my car this past weekend to install a rear brace. Two thick felt layers, carpet and the board. I left the two layers out this time. Just have the carpet and the board in mine. Those things were heavy!!

20-30 pounds is right. I’ll hang on to them them though. Not sure why. I guess just to say I still have them. :chin

Reactions: 1 user
This stuff @CtCarl?

4E7875E4-9EBA-49C4-97BE-8963EEBC7A39.jpeg

So even after multiple cleaning attempts, I didn't like the ancient original stuff, it was yellowed and generally decrepit. So I picked up a Mohawk Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad from that big website named after a river in South America for $22. Same stuff I used under the trunk mat of my S197 to quiet down the exhaust resonance. This time, I got a 3'x8', so I could make two replacement mats out of it.

Then I just unclipped the carpeting with the top layer of jute stitched to it and took it to the local Wash Tub. It fit just fine in one of the medium-sized front loaders, but I was concerned that one of the "flaps" with the mounting clips would get pinched or damaged, so I went with one of the huge 50 lb machines instead just for the extra room. Looked like a handkerchief in there. I washed it with regular laundry detergent on delicate cycle in warm water.

SAM_5983.JPG SAM_5986.JPG SAM_5990.JPG

To my surprise, it came out of the machine only slightly damp. A couple of hours in the sun and it was dry as a bone. The attached jute was a little "puffy"...that stuff definitely isn't meant to be machine-washed...but for the most part it's none the worse for wear and came out super clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users