how many tunes does it take to make your car run rite after cam install

STANGAT

Jan 17, 2007
i just got my thumpr stage 2 cams installed and it sounds freaking awesome, but the car isn;t running quite right. it feels flat at about 1500 to 3500 rpm's and it hesitates and pops. 4th and 5th gear feel like they have no power what so ever. sorry to rample on i guess what i am getting at is how many tunes did it take to get it right with other peoples cam installs? everyones oppinion is appreciated. oh and by the way i did get my tune from a reputable tuner and they are working with me.

• Sponsors (?)

If your "tune guy" a few runs on the dyno will do it so I would say 1 tune. Do you have the dyno sheet? I would like to see your A/F line. Also what gears do you have, the problems you describe can be a result of gears usually cam upgrades work better with taller gears such as 3.73's or 4.10's

It sounds to me like maybe you are getting email tunes and not a dyno tune. Cams are finicky as hell on these 3 valve engines and require some attention in person by the tune guy. If by chance you are getting your tune in person by the tune guy, maybe he doesn't know as much as he should.

to answer both of you i have 4.10 gears and yes it is an email tune, but people on here have given him outstanding reputation. i just don't want to mention his name just yet. he is working with me. i have never had the car dynoed but there are 2 dynos where i live. i just don't know if they are capable of tunning our cars. the closest reputable tuner to me is mike murrillo in san antonio and that is a little over 2 hours away and another 500 dollars. thanks again

The drivablility issues require hands on attention most of the time. Give the guy a chance to straighten it out. It might take a few tries or it may not satisfy you at all. One way to find out. Let us know how it goes.

well i will now sayy who the tuner is and it is doug from bamachips. it did help me out and gave me enopther tunr and it help but is still hesitating and popping. and he said "i don't know what to tell you". so i am now looking for other options.

I'm currently having the same problem with my hot rod cams from Ford...i had the car dyno tuned and the rpms are now sticking at seemingly random times...i've been working with my tuner and getting tunes emailed to me...the problem was that the car didn't have problems during the dyno tune, only afterwards...anyway, recently I've been datalogging with my SCT tuner and sending the results to both my tuner and SCT for resolution....my point is, hang in there you're not the only one... my suggestion is get the car dyno tuned like all the others suggested, as its the only real place to start...

thanks for the input i am going to try rpmoutlet.com i bought my tuner from them and they said i get free tunes since i bought from them but i have to wait until monday. if that doesn't work i will look at other options. the thing is it runs great at WOT but only hesitates and pops at 2500-300 rpm's at part throttle

careful with rpmoutlet, they stole $1,200 from me in parts I never got, wont answer my emails and when i call i get put on hold and hung up on every time and its been a year now since i ordered the parts.