How much weight should I put in the trunk

• Sponsors (?)

i never run any, and have only been slowed down but never stuck. if you really want to add weight, start with one and adjust as needed.

I don't have snow tires, nor did I put weight in the trunk. I have never had an issue with gaining foward momentum, only problem I have is when the snow is too deep and ground clearance is the problem (which sand won't help), and even then the car still got going fine, I just hated the constant scraping sounds :(

But yeah, I'm amazed with how well this car does in the snow actually.

STOP!!! Don't EVER put sandbags behind the rear axle. While it does help to prevent a spin somewhat, as soon as the rear end does start to break loose, it will be significantly more difficult to recover. Any major driver safety schools, etc. that you talk to will strongly discourage you from doing this. The safe and useful thing to do, while inconvenient, is put the sandbags in the back seat ahead of the rear axle. This keeps the car more balanced and doesn't add nearly as much rotational interia that you need to stop during a spin, yet it provides almost the identical benefits (without the drawbacks) of sandbags in the trunk.

Snow tires on a Mustang, That I got to see. Could you post a picture?
I had to mow my lawn yesterday. It's cold today.

You must be thinking "old school" snow tires...which back in the day were prolly more like truck tires.

I have Michelin X-Ice Xi2 snow tires on all corners this year, and it has made a noticeable difference in the way the car drives. They are the same size as stock (235/55/17) and don't look "trucky" at all. If you stand next to them you can see a little more "tread" on the sidewall, but other than that, they look pretty much like an all-season tire. Here's what they look like:

Michelin X-Ice Xi2

I have never put weight in the back, but I always try to keep a full tank of gas in the car. That adds over 100lbs to the rear end.

Yes you are correct, when Power4 said "Snow tires do just fine for me." I had flashback of when I lived in Illinois, I had snow tires on my torino.
They looked like the tire on the left.

The last time it snowed here was in 1984 I think.
It snows most every year in Dallas, Not in Houston.
I can remember getting on HWY 45 heading for Houston from Texas City. There were 3 cars on the freeway, mine, one in front and one behind me. We went across a bridge, the car in front of me started to do 360s I went across the bridge and let go of the sterring wheel, (the front wheels will head in the direction the car is going) The car behind me started to do 360s. I laughed and drove into Houston.
Houston people don't do well in snow.

I think the traction control in the GT should be very helpful in the snow and the new stabililock on the new mustang will be even better. Our Escape has it and believe me it works good. :)

The TC on the 05 - 09 GT's sucks donkey nuts in the snow. I am driving my 05 GT in the snow currently with Michelin X-Ice 2 tires. When I am driving through deep snow or just starting to move the car in snow, I turn the TC off because it hurts you more than it helps. Once moving I turn the TC on because it works like a charm on ice.

That said, I don't add any weight to my car. As pointed out, doing that hurts more than it helps especially if you do get into trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
While someguys will poo poo adding weight to a vehicle, I am for it.

Of course this is on an 04 GT, 150 lbs of boxed magazines, does wonders for a little extra help with Blizzaks.

I used to run around with 400lbs in the back of my Ranger Pickup and I could hang with the four wheel drive boys.

****understand that you will change the car's handling characteristics***

You want to make sure, such as your sandbags, they can't easily shift around. If you are in a spin and the weight shifts, it can make things worse and has been proven to do so.

Knowing your car as well as your dork is the best defense against the white stuff.

Passed a truck at 40 this morning, at a 45 degree angle to him, while in second gear and at about half throttle. A power-pass-drift is what I would label it as. I've also been racing around in go-karts since I was seven and didn't give that up until I bought my second set of wheels.

Most accidents occure because:

1) People have yet to take their car in an open parking lot and practice with it

2) People are taken by surprise (STAY ALERT)---- you need to always expect, predict what your pony could do try and buck you off

3)People Panick---- DON'T ---laugh it off, you're the driver, make the car do what you need it to.

4) Listen to the little voice in your head, if you have doubt, you obviously aren't prepared to handle anything outside of your safety zone, so don't try it out in pubic.

5) Set the car up to your liking---- People on here will tell to do or don't do things and someone always comes along to dispell the myth...It's your ride, properly equip it to do what you want/need it to do in the manner in which you expect it to.

Good luck and drive safe.

I would also recommend putting sand bags in the back seat like someone above said. Two 100LB bags should do. I ran that last year and never had a problem on the stock Pirellis. This year wasn't so bad and I had just bought new tires in November so I didn't run with anything in the back seat.