How to best avoid stalling/drifting from a dead spot while on a steep hill ?

Although I've been driving manual's for many years, I still have problems whenever I'm at a dead spot on steep hills.

So my question is this: What is the best solution to prevent from drifting back, and stalling the vehicle while starting out from a dead spot, on a steep hill ? Anyway, thanks for all your help in advance guys. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Practice is always #1 in these cases, however there are some tricks I usually tell people when they first learn how to drive 5speed to keep from rolling/stalling.

Trick 1: The throttle blip. Before taking off (letting off clutch) just blip the gas slightly so that you don't start from idle. This way you already build up some momentum and the car will be harder to stall. (By blipping I mean if you idle at 700RPM blip to about 1200RPM not much at all)

Trick 2: The brake trick. (usually works best when combined with Trick 1) Before letting off the brake start letting off the clutch SLOWLY as soon as you start feeling it catch get off the brake and get on the throttle. It worked wonders when I taught my gf to drive her 6 speed 350Z.

Trick 3: The e-brake. this is pretty much a variation of 2 only that you use the ebrake the hold the car in place. The only advantage over 2 is that you don't have to tool around with all three pedals at the same time and you can just concentrate on the clutch/throttle action.

I wish I could be more specific but unfortunately these sound better in real person with a demonstration.

Good Luck.

You well Shift from the "P" and go directly to the "D" without stopping at the "N" will usually do it. lol

No seriously though, a Fool proof way never to stall out...
While sitting on the hill with your foot on the brake and clutch, quickly go from the brake to the gas mashing it to the floor, as you do so the car will move backwards slightly let it roll a good 6"- 6 ft. backwards, then pop the clutch all the way out and... Hold her steady!! Yeehaw!!

P.S. I bet this technique would work perfectly fine if the TCS is on?? lol

Practice is always #1 in these cases, however there are some tricks I usually tell people when they first learn how to drive 5speed to keep from rolling/stalling.

Trick 1: The throttle blip. Before taking off (letting off clutch) just blip the gas slightly so that you don't start from idle. This way you already build up some momentum and the car will be harder to stall. (By blipping I mean if you idle at 700RPM blip to about 1200RPM not much at all)

Trick 2: The brake trick. (usually works best when combined with Trick 1) Before letting off the brake start letting off the clutch SLOWLY as soon as you start feeling it catch get off the brake and get on the throttle. It worked wonders when I taught my gf to drive her 6 speed 350Z.

Trick 3: The e-brake. this is pretty much a variation of 2 only that you use the ebrake the hold the car in place. The only advantage over 2 is that you don't have to tool around with all three pedals at the same time and you can just concentrate on the clutch/throttle action.

I wish I could be more specific but unfortunately these sound better in real person with a demonstration.

Good Luck.

This is the method that I use. I never roll backwards.

Well, yeah, if you sit there for 5 minutes. I use the brake until the light turns green, then use the above method. Just hold the clutch at the fulcrum long enough for it to hold the car, then go.

I ususally will start letting the clutch out very slightly before I let off the brake, so the clutch will hold the car in place long enough to get my foot on the gas and start like normal. That, or I can use my right foot to hold the brake and give it a little gas, then let the clutch out and slide my foot off the brake.

I have heard of the ebrake trick a lot, but never tried it. I bet it'd come in handy though at the top of a parking garage ramp.

No track suits or Judaism. I think you're confused as to where Florida is ... :rlaugh:
I'm sorry, I forgot to add "grow old" in there. I was trying to get at how old Jewish couples tend to move to Florida. That's my friend's parents lifelong dream lol.

Nothing wrong with Florida, though. Just too hot and humid for me and bugs 10x the size of bugs here.

The e-brake trick is the best one IMO.

Pull ebrake up, then try to take off with the ebrake still on. While you are letting the clutch slip, lower the ebrake at the same time. Pretty simple in practice and works really well. I usually just rev a little, let the car roll back some, and then move up so the guy behind me knows that I have a manual and backs off lol