How to get more hp out of the 289

Ilikeponys

Nov 22, 2005
I want to build up my 289 2 barrel to get some more hp out of it. Right now it has headers with dual flowmasters. Everything else is stock. What are the best parts to buy for it to get some more hp without spending alot of money. I dont want to spend alot. I was thinking a 4 barrel carb, which ones are the best?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Get a new intake manifold and a 4 barrel carb. Also another mod I highly recommend is a new set of rear gears. Those would be the most bang for the buck and would make your car pretty quick. Another thing that could help us out is what kind of transmission are you running behind that thing.

I think the first thing ill get it a 4 barrel. Which is the best? I know theres alot of choices out there and its hard to narrow it down. Which ones do you guys have and how well do they work?
Oh and its got a c4 tranny.

Intake? Ford A321 or an older Edelbrock F4B. Carb? Holley 600 cfm vacuum secondary. Change the secondary spring to a white or purple. Replace the points in the distributor with a Pertronux unit, preferably an Ignitor II. Also upgrade the dist. cap to the newer post type and replace the wires with Ford Racing 9mm's. I also agree with changing the rear gears to something like 3.50's.

Ilikeponys said:
I think the first thing ill get it a 4 barrel. Which is the best? I know theres alot of choices out there and its hard to narrow it down. Which ones do you guys have and how well do they work?
Oh and its got a c4 tranny.

You do know that along with a 4-barrel carb, you have to get a new intake, right? I would seriously consider 3.73 gears. They will cost less, if you can do it yourself, than a carb and intake (about the same or maybe a little less if you have to pay a shop to do it). AND you will FEEL them in the SEAT OF YOUR PANTS. Gears are probly the best bang for the buck, nitrous is up there too.

Tyler

Gears are definitely worth it, but all these mods together will really knock him in the teeth when he takes it for a drive. I also doubt that he can install the gears himself it is a very tedious process, and unless he has the right tools it is better left to professionals.

Thanks for the info. I dont have the tools to change out the gears and I wouldnt trust myself doing that. Would 3.50s still be good for driving around town and some highway use?Also how can you tell which gears are already in it? Can the vin number tell you?

The dataplate that is on the inside of the drivers side door will tell you what ratio is in the rear. If you drive the car frequently on the highway 3.55's will be perfect. You don't want to go higher than that otherwise you will really be revving that engine up.

Best thing for porting on the stock heads is to just open up the exhaust ports and blend the passage down into the bowl under the valve. Blending the intake bowls also helps. These two will give you the most gain if you're doing it yourself. Also recommend a Serdi machined valve job along with this. The Serdi contours the valve seats better than the old "3 angle" valve job did.

just for you, Steel:

searchstopper.gif

Autolite Spark Plugs?

I need to replace my Autolite 135's that got discontinued for my 393 Windsor. I cross referenced those plugs to some AC Delcos, but my motor pings like crazy only when i mash the gas. Any ideas? Also is a gap of 45 too much?

Definetly go with 3:55 gears if ur running a 3 speed automatic. 3:73's are way too low for a 3spd auto, for just cruising. holley makes some great carbs but dont go with that vacuum seconday stuff, it sucks. even with the lighter springs they dont fully kick in until like 6 grand. go with mechanical secondarys if you really want to feel those 4 barrells open up. edelbrock makes great intakes, their performer series will do the trick. swap your stock 1.6 rockers for some 1.7's if you dont want to go too internal. otherwise i'd drop a bigger cam in it. a more powerful coil and ignition helps, such as petronix flamethrower or MSD blaster. getting your heads ported will make a difference, or getting a whole new set of heads would too but its expensive

stang302v8 said:
holley makes some great carbs but dont go with that vacuum seconday stuff, it sucks. even with the lighter springs they dont fully kick in until like 6 grand. go with mechanical secondarys if you really want to feel those 4 barrells open up
If your Holley's secondaries weren't opening fully with the lightest springs, you had other problems.( like the carb is too big to start with) And with a double pumper, his mileage and performance will suffer, the secondaries opening too soon, just bogs the motor down. Yea, it sounds cool, but it actaully hurts it if the carb is too big also.