How to remove air filter stud?

Primer66

Aug 22, 2021
USA
Hey everyone, I noticed the wingnut on my air filter was loose so I cranked it down and snapped half the stud right out of the carb.

What would be my best approach to get the rest of the stud out of the carb?
Any advice/help/discussion is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

If you can put two nuts on the stud , turn bottom but to lock top nut and keep turning bottom nut to get stud out.

Reactions: 1 user
A left and drill bit in prep for an easy out will likely remove it. But the metal shavings need to be nowhere near the engine. You might as well tear it apart for a cleaning and rebuild kit at the same time.

If a new carb is somewhere in the future better to spend the $300 plus and save the effort of working on the old one.
That’s the IF. Unless the shafts are worn, or it needs upgraded to a 4bbl, it’s a good excuse, but not a good reason. @Primer66 has some good info to decide where to spend his/her money now.
This is the biggest I’d put on a street-able 302/289. If it is a straight six, we need to look elsewhere for a different carb. It will not ever useful 650 CFM, but the adjustable flap and new style venturis should be a good fit.

I am struggling with a Holly 600, if I needed to put real effort into working on it U would be ordering the edelbrock tonight. As it is I am trying a couple more things before the holly goes.

Thinking about a Weber Down-draft set-up with 3 carbs if such a thing can be found.....
I am good with Holleys, what’s up?

Hey everyone, I noticed the wingnut on my air filter was loose so I cranked it down and snapped half the stud right out of the carb.

What would be my best approach to get the rest of the stud out of the carb?
Any advice/help/discussion is appreciated!
In case anyone stumbles by this in the future - remove the top plate of the carb (6 screws or so) and access the stud from the bottom. I was able to grab it with pliers and thread it out.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users