how to remove oil pan???

99sc-riored

Oct 5, 2006
Yup, the tip of my dipstick just broke off. Fished for it in the pan no luck. Have not started and do not intend too. I search for a thread for pan removal with no luck. Can someone shed so much need light? It looks as if I need to lift the engine, but thought I'd ask first......DOH!

• Sponsors (?)

yeah i think you need to drop the K-member.... that takes like 2 hours alone, have fun with that project. Be thankful you dont have a Strut Tower brace like I do, or you'd have to take that off too which is another PITA lol

SteedaGTJ22 said:
yeah i think you need to drop the K-member.... that takes like 2 hours alone, have fun with that project. Be thankful you dont have a Strut Tower brace like I do, or you'd have to take that off too which is another PITA lol

Dropping a K-member only takes a few minutes :shrug:

by fishing for it I guess you put a magnet on a coathanger, drained the oil
and put the magnet up through the drain hole ,:shrug: but it may be stuck
inside the dipstick tube so also stick the coathanger in the tube and move it
around in a circular motion to knock it free.

I was wondering......... how did you break the tip off anyway?

When I did this, I just unbolted the engine mounts, jacked the engine up a bit, and wedged some wood between the block and the mounts. I had just enough room to work with.

jasonh_86 said:
Dropping a K-member only takes a few minutes :shrug:

eh, well I guess... last time i did it, it was to install headers and I was taking the whole front suspension out of the car. :rlaugh: ...so it took a while =)

Oh yeah I was on the floor too, no lift :)

And just to let you know, if you're doing this by yourself...that K-member is pretty heavy