how to remove steering shift from rack ?

johnnyt03gt

5 Year Member
Mar 15, 2008
453
5
29
dallas TX
im replacing the steering rack on my 03 GT this will be my first rack install on 99-04 cars

so my question is how in god's name am i too unbolt the steering shift from rack when i cant even see it ? or does it drop down some after pulling rack down far enough to unbolt ?
thanks
 
The steering shaft is only 2 bolts.One under the dash and one right above the rack. You may need to turn the wheel to get to the lower bolt but it is not to hard.You well need to get to it from under the car.Have had to replace mine two times in the last month.
 
There's nothing "wrong" with it per se, but a solid steering shaft would give a nice upgrade in steering feel. The rubber rag joint allows too much twisting of the shaft before the wheels start to move. Maximum Motorsports sells one, and I'm sure other companies do too.

The reason I suggest it is that I regret not doing that to mine when I had it apart.