Howoften should I change my synthetic oil?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 96 GT that I bought from new. I installed synthetics at 1000 miles and have changed it 1 time per year from then on. I do a filter change at 6 months and top off the oil. I use 1 quart of oil per year + the 1/2 qt to replace what I loose with the filter change.
From what I can see in my valve cover the inside of the engine is very clean with no nasty build up. I have been supercharged for the past 2.5 years.
The motor is just as quiet and fuel efficient as the day I got it.

Dwayne

I agree with these guys. I run Redline synthetic new filter and top off at 5k and full change at 10k. 80K miles and my engine is as clean as can be inside. If using a petroleum based oil you could half that easily and be ok. New filter and top off at 2500 and full change at 5k. The same oils sold in Europe suggest a 7500 mile interval (petoleum based that is).

Oil change intervals depend upon driving habits/conditions. To be safe, 3000 miles will be fine for most any situations. 5000 is ok for normal driving habits/conditions. A factor is the filter you use. Be sure to use a quality filter and change the oil at regular intervals. Today's engines will last well over 100K IF we do the cheapest preventative maint there is.........an oil/filter change. The air filter and fuel filters are important too.

the car has always had synthetic and is changed about every 3-4k miles. maybe that's why it lasted so long :p. and i've heard bad things about Fram filters, so i use only motorcraft filters now.:nice: