Howto Get gauges to work with efi --> carb swap

As it says..
I just put a 351w into my stang, that is carbed.. not fuel infected.
What will it take to get the engine temp / oil pressure / oil temp gauges to work again????
Also, Do i need to buy special adapters or something for the tach since its no longer a 302?

thanks in advance !!!!

ALSO!!! What wires do I HAVE to keep in regards to things in the engine compartment??
I have already removed all the efi wires, and some other stuff, but is there a step by step out there anywhere???
-Salty :flag: :flag: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

saltymaz said:
As it says..
I just put a 351w into my stang, that is carbed.. not fuel infected.
What will it take to get the engine temp / oil pressure / oil temp gauges to work again????
Also, Do i need to buy special adapters or something for the tach since its no longer a 302?

thanks in advance !!!!

ALSO!!! What wires do I HAVE to keep in regards to things in the engine compartment??
I have already removed all the efi wires, and some other stuff, but is there a step by step out there anywhere???
-Salty :flag: :flag: :flag:
Are you using the factory gauges still? If so you can just use the factory water temp sensor and screw it onto the intake and just keep the factory wire hooked up for it. The oil pressure gauge you can use the factory sending unit and wiring as well. Oil temp must be an aftermarket gauge but should hook up the same. Also you will not have to run special adapters for the tach because it is a 351. A V-8 is a V-8 as far as a tach is concerned. If you are going to run an aftermarket ignition then it has provissions for the tach.

Thanks.
All the sensor wires and whatnot are on the driver side of the engine yeah?
I only ask caz I cut most of the EEC stuff on the passenger side, thinking I wouldnt need it anymore.
Can I just ditch ALL of the wires coming from the passenger side?????

saltymaz said:
Thanks.
All the sensor wires and whatnot are on the driver side of the engine yeah?
I only ask caz I cut most of the EEC stuff on the passenger side, thinking I wouldnt need it anymore.
Can I just ditch ALL of the wires coming from the passenger side?????
OUCH! :bang: The sensor wires run from out of the passenger side and go through the injector harness.
Man people would pay Top Dollar for a good harness.
You might have to go get a Chiltons book now with a wiring diagram and get a magnafing glass to trace the wires.

All the wiring for the gauges was in the EFI engine wiring harness. The two 10 pin connectors for the fuel injector harness had the wires for the water temp, & oil pressure. They connected to the main computer harness and then branched off to the dash & instrument panel.

So, if you yanked out all the EFI wiring, you are toast as far as using the orginal gauges & wiring. You have five choices:

1.) Install all the EFI wiring back and just use the wires for the gauges.

2.) Install the EFI wiring and build an EFI 351 engine (best choice).

3.) Get an electrical genius with sparks shootin' out his finger tips to analyze the stock wiring and build a custom wiring harness for you.

4.) Split open the EFI harness, identify the gauge wires & and remove them from the EFI harness. Run these wires to the senders & gauges. Buddy up to the aforementioned elcetrical genius, 'cause you're going to need his help.

5.) Do all new Stewart-Warner or Autometer gauges & don't worry with the stock wiring. You're still going to need some electrical smarts to do this.

See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/19/59/5a/0900823d8019595a.jsp for limited wiring diagrams for 89-93 year Mustangs.

See http://www.stangnet.com/tech/cluster87-93.pdf for a diagram of the instrument panel for 87-93 Mustangs

See http://www.stewartwarner.com/ for Stewart-Warner automotive gauges.

saltymaz said:
Well I just got back from the store.
Got a autometer gauge for everything that dont work anymore =]

You are far better off with a mechanical gauges with a new engine. The only stock gauges that work in mine are the tach (even though I have a 5inch autometer that works) speedo, and gas gauge. Everything thats important oil,water have mechanical gauges.
mike.

saltymaz said:
Im saying my speedo cluster is busted.
Where can i get a aftermarket setup one?
I know the gears and stuff have to be specific for model
p.s- My speedo cable is also toast, thanks to it rubbing against the headers =D

Fix the speedo cable & your speedo will probably work OK.