HP Estimates??

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi guys I have a setup in mind but I don't know what kind of power to expect. I have a 1969 Mustang Mach1 with a 351 Windsor. The car put down 155rwhp on the dyno without any mods :notnice: (seems awfully low even for my elevation). I have just barely put on my exhaust system(Check Sig). What do you guys think that would have bumped me upto. Also I plan on putting AFR 185's, performer RPM(Airgap if it fits under hood with stock aircleaner), and Comp Cams Camshaft don't know which one yet. I want to keep the stock converter. I am at 5000 ft elevation in Utah. My goal is 400 fwhp. Feasible?? What will the setup put me up around?? And what do you guys think the exhaust did for me and put me at right now??

• Sponsors (?)

The headers and duals will probably be good for 20-30 hp at best.If you want to retain the stock converter, keep your cam choice to a 280 degree advertised duration cam or less. Your biggest bang for the buck on the street ( unless you're going for Bonneville salt flat competition LOL ) is to swap those 2.75's to at least 3.50's

I wouldn't feel bad about your HP situation if I were you.......you don't know low until you find out your "so called muscle car" Inline 6 barely if even at all makes 90-100 HP. Most I6's only make 65HP or so. Now that is a bad feeling. But then I remembered I will be dropping a rebuilt 302 in between the fenders soon making more Horses than cubic inches. Now that is a good feeling

Ahh man that's true. But my car had around 300 hp from the factory. 155 rwhp @ 3500 is just depressing even at 5000 ft elevation I think its still a little low. Maybe I am in need of a tuning. The only thing that makes it feel fast is the monstrous torque it has but then my car will crap out after 3500 rpm. Anyways more suggestions guys. I love this hobby.

Your car had 290HP at the flywheel from the factory, not at the rear wheels. 155 at the rear wheels at that elevation is not as bad as you think. Don't get caught in a numbers game. The mods you will be making will make plenty of power, even if it doesn't make 400 at the rear wheels.