humming noise video

csledd

Official Ovary Punching Member
Founding Member
Aug 18, 2001
Paducah, KY
This humming sound turned up right after I installed the Accufab 75mm TB and Plenum (which was before the U/D pulleys). As you can see in the video the sound is much louder when your standing directly in front of the car rather than on the sides. It's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. Any ideas?

Here's the video..

http://www.csledd.com/ellie/humming.wmv

• Sponsors (?)

Idler pulley?
Fan bearing?
Alternator bearing?

Yeah, it sounds weird. If you could have the throttle a couple of times to see if it followed the serpentive or the valvetrain, that might have helped a bit.

Pull off that IAC hose and put your hand over the opening on the IAC, and see if the noise gets louder or quieter. Make sure you have your finger or something in the end of the hose, as to not confuse your maf.

What kind of belt?

Underdrives?

Fenderwell kit?

doesn't sound like a belt or a bearing, got to be intake

does the sound change with rpm?
check all the hoses and clamps on the intake and all the screws holding the plenum down, tb screws, iac, tps. also make sure you didn't leave a gasket out
does it drive any different?

make a vid of you driving the car if you can. wear something sexy

:D

:nonono:

it doesnt seem to effect driving at all and you cant hear it while driving.. i dunno if its just not there or if the exhaust is too loud to hear it, seems like it goes away whe nyou rev

I would be more inclinded to to say intake or vacuum hose. Maybe a hose came loose during install? :shrug:

Try covering the front of the Filter element, see if the sound changes or goes away.

I had a friend that installed a bigger TB Mass air and K&N cone and got this whistle noise afterwards. May be similar.

Just my $.02

Good luck with that.

Superhereaux said:
doesn't sound like a belt or a bearing, got to be intake

does the sound change with rpm?
check all the hoses and clamps on the intake and all the screws holding the plenum down, tb screws, iac, tps. also make sure you didn't leave a gasket out
does it drive any different?

make a vid of you driving the car if you can. wear something sexy

:nonono:

christiesledd said:
it doesnt seem to effect driving at all and you cant hear it while driving.. i dunno if its just not there or if the exhaust is too loud to hear it, seems like it goes away whe nyou rev
try holding a steady rpm, lets say 2000, for a few seconds.
hold the throttle open with one hand and listen for any whistling. would be kinda strange if it only happens at idle :shrug:

still waiting for more vids...

and yes, i do prefer miniskirts...

WOW, thats crazy. That is definatly not normal, its houldnt have ANY sound even remotly close to that, as you mention that it got "louder". A suggestion would be to take the serpentine (sp) belt OFF to eleminate any bearing failures, and crank it up (try to do it when the car is cold...for obvious reasons). I let my dad listen to it also and he also tends to think its either a vaccume leak, or a bearing failure (We agree..I think its one of those 2 things). Sounds kinda weird for a vaccume leak, but you never know. Hope that helps.

btw.. it seems it only happens when the car has been driving. for instance, yesterday when i made the first video i had drove around a bit turned the car off and waited an hour or two and then made the video. today i went out there first thing and turned it on and no humming. i drove it around town and it was doing it so i went and graved the camera and made that last video. im going to hopefully deal with it on sunday :(