Hurst Billet Shifter - Latest edition

xgto

Jun 26, 2007
I know this might be and old topic , but is anyone using the latest Hurst Billet shifter, and is it noisy ? A year or two back I had the original comp plus steel unit on my 2007 GT and it buzzed and I sold it. So I'm still back on the stock shifter. I can get the billet hurst for $208.00. Cannot afford the MGW.
thanks for any feedback.
Neil

• Sponsors (?)

I know this might be and old topic , but is anyone using the latest Hurst Billet shifter, and is it noisy ? A year or two back I had the original comp plus steel unit on my 2007 GT and it buzzed and I sold it. So I'm still back on the stock shifter. I can get the billet hurst for $208.00. Cannot afford the MGW.
thanks for any feedback.
Neil

I have it and I love it although at a certain RPM I am getting a buzzing from the shaft. I think it may just be a loose bolt underneath the car that when the exhaust gets loud enough causes the rattle, but I am unsure at this point. I need to get some time to check it out. I wonder if this buzzing thing is common with them?

Oh and FYI I think you can find them for cheaper than $208. I know I only paid $125 for mine, but it was from someone that bought it then never used it. I believe they can be had for around $150-$175 from time to time, then again, I could just be fooling myself.

Well I looked under the car and checked all the bolts to see what could be causing the vibration noise at 2500RPM upward. I have no idea. All of the bolts were as tight as could be. Any ideas? If I grab the shifter handle when it is doing it, it silences the noise.

I have the hurst Billet and I do really like it. You cant beat the look and feel of a hurst.

That said. It does rattle. There is a rattle fix mentioned in the install directions for the MGW shifter, found on the MGW website. You may want to check that out. Whether you car installing the MGW or the Hurst, the rattle fix should be the same, as it is coming from the e-brake handle. I have not done that yet. I've just gotten used to the rattle, and over time, I think it has reduced. I am not 100% sure the MGW fix will work on the Hurst, but its very cheap and easy to do (provided you have some dynamat)

You can just dynamat the crap out of the entire center console area. I am planning on doing that someday. That should reduce transmission noise in the cabin, and maybe cure some rattles in the process.

I have the hurst Billet and I do really like it. You cant beat the look and feel of a hurst.

That said. It does rattle. There is a rattle fix mentioned in the install directions for the MGW shifter, found on the MGW website. You may want to check that out. Whether you car installing the MGW or the Hurst, the rattle fix should be the same, as it is coming from the e-brake handle. I have not done that yet. I've just gotten used to the rattle, and over time, I think it has reduced. I am not 100% sure the MGW fix will work on the Hurst, but its very cheap and easy to do (provided you have some dynamat)

You can just dynamat the crap out of the entire center console area. I am planning on doing that someday. That should reduce transmission noise in the cabin, and maybe cure some rattles in the process.

I might just have to try that, but I have to wonder if dynamating the area would really remove such harsh vibrations from the shifter handle?

I'm going to get a bottle of Plastic Dip, this is the rubber stuff for coating your tool handles. Before I install the Hurst I will dip the shift lever stub and lower section of the handle that you dont see under the shift boot. that should quiet it down.

My buddy has the billet Hurst and there's a roll pin that keeps coming out under the shifter and leaves him with no shifter use at all. Save your money and buy the MGW. You won't look back. Mines one of the first beta models and it's still super quiet and hitting third gear without letting off the gas is a cinch at any rpm.

It does take some time to break in...but it's sweet. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't vibrate. It gets really smooth after the car warms up a bit...otherwise can be a tad notchy. I find that I can't shift as fast as I can with the stock shifter, but it does look/feel WAAAAAAAY better than stock.

Hurst shifter

I have the C+ Hurst and it had a slight buzzing noise. I bought a black Hurst ball and aluminum t-handle. With either of those on there is NO buzz. Personnally, I like it just fine. I'd even buy another if I had to. Power-shifting is no problem.

one week down...

i think the hurst will join the junk pile along with my 01 cobras pro 5.0

i missed second big time today getting on the freeway. my shifter is so stuff in 1st and 2nd. its takes noticeable effort to put it in neutral from second and also from neutral to first at a dead stop. i think shift times take longer than with the stock piece.

i dont plan to race my mustang at all. so back to stock i go. what a waste.