HYBRID JEEP

sI have been a "Ford Guy" since I was old enough to turn a wrench. My Favorite mustang is 68 Fastback. I owned a 65, but that's a sad story. I'll share the condensed version. I was in the process of restoring a 65. I was at that stage where all I could afford was to take stuff off, but not purchase any serious parts. I removed basically the entire enterior and pulled the engine and tranny. I had to go out of town that weekend on my job. My wife chose that as an opportunity to grab my then new and now ex son in law and clean out the garage Here's a partial ist of what went to the dumpster. Heads, Intake, Carburetor, seats, gauge cluster, grill, headlight buckets, I could go on, but it's too painful, even though it was 15 years ago. I now owned a 65 Mustang with new floor pans welded in, and a 302 block. I don't have to tell you how much the odd and end parts would cost to build the mustang. Needless to say it was way outside of my budget. I forgave my wife, (But not my son in law)...and I never blamed my daughter. So while I am an old school mustang fan, sadly I do not own one. I sold the one I had for 600 bucks. I know this is not a jeep site but fast forward 10 years. I had a desire to buy an old Jeep CJ, and put a 289 or a 302 in it. I found one that already had a Ford 302 in it within my budget. My wife now understanding the garage was my domain, and my ex son in law just a bad memory, I started on my little jewel. First order of business was to find out what I really had under the hood. I pulled the starter to get to the block casting #. It started with D1ZM. I pulled up the code. I had a 302 out of a 71 mustang...but there's more. The "M" designated my block as a Ford Motorsport black cast in Mexico. Which meant it had a higher nickel content than to average 302. And while it was not a "Boss 302" with 4 bold mains, it does have extra hard main caps. It's nearly 50 years old. I was 11 when it rolled off the assembly line. The engine is 6 years older than the jeep it sets in. I proudly display "built by Ford" decals on my valve covers and a blue ford oval right under the large JEEP letters on my Jeep tailgate. So I never got to build my Mustang, but I do have a verified and legitimate 1971 Mustang Performance Engine in my 77 CJ 7. My "New" Son in Law and I rebuilt it, and it didn't need boring so Stock piston and rings went in it. I did put a torque cam in it along with a set of shorty headers, Converted to HEI ignition, Kept the 2 bbl Motorcraft 2100 Carb, ( hard to beat...jeep guys love them), dual Flowmaster exhaust, Dick Cepek Mud Country tires, my son in law painted it Arctic Silver. It looked great and sounded better. I figure I'm still under the budget i would have had to build the Mustang. I love the, especially with the Ford power plant. I've done a lot of things you can't see ... especially the stuff that keep it safe. So, since it's a Jeep with a Mustang Engine, just think of it more of a "Mule" than a "Pony"....Even moreso when I get the Ford T-19 transmission in it...... In case you haven't noticed, I also like to write, I also like to play music..guitar, mandolin, harmonica. I collect firearms, and grand-daughters. I have 5....Grand-Daughters that is. ( No Grand -S ons yet). They keep the wife and I pretty busy. we usually have at least 1 here, and sometimes all 5. My life is full. I am also a Baptist Preacher. I'm blessed.

• Sponsors (?)

5 granddaughters! Get yourself over to wall mart and get a grandson before they sell out!
now since its a jeep with a mustang engine maybe the 'other auto tech' you could start a thread there to show how your doing what to get that thing up and running.
Welcome to stangnet

I'm stuck right now. I have parts to adapt a Ford T 19 to a Dana 20 Transfer Case ( wonder if transfer case has ever been typed on here before)....I'll try to keep this as "Pony" as I can. For the record, I do have appropriate supplemental badges on my CJ. As stated, (I believe) the 71 302CI from a 71 Mustang is top notch. The HP / High Nickel designation proved out during rebuild. Almost 50 year old block and only required a ridge reamer in the Cylinders. Went back with Standard Rings and she runs great. .... Ah yes, the tranny.....Original Tranny is a T 150 3 Speed. It needs attention so I thought it was a good time to get that other gear hole and go to a 4 speed. I casually asked if anyone knew where I could find a T 18 at church one Sunday morning. One of the Deacons said he had 2....he said I could have them..one just rebuilt. So the price was right. It ended up being a T 19 (all forwards have synchros on a T 19 as opposed to just 2,3,4 on a T-18)...The other transmision turned out to be a NP 435,...either would fit. I decided on the T 19 and ordered kit from Novak Adapters. I'm 57, so I decided I was old enough and had enough years behind a wrench to tackle the adapter. It is intimidating. I've also been spending some time on converting my mechanical clutch assembly to a Hydraulic system therefore eliminating the weakest link in my build, the spring, linkage, bell crank etc.... I am excited about the possibilities. Novak has a hydraulic throw out bearing that is adjustable. Unfortunately they are for Mopar or GM applications. But I am confident there is one on the market that will work and I shall find it. Meanwhile back on the farm.... I must continue my disassembly of the T 19, Drill and Tap out one new hole so adapter will bolt on..(Yikes..not crazy about that.)... I have attached a pic of my "Classic Half Breed" for your viewing. Felt like I needed to bolster my credibility on the Mustang Powered CJ. It's not a mall crawler, though it does turn a lot of heads, especially when I crank it or pull into the C-Store and Idle up to the pump. It's then that I put a smile on the "over 50" crowd as they recognize the slightly imperfect rhythm of an old school, carbureted, cam thumping 302. More to follow. P.S. If at anytime you find the content of my post not lining up with the normal storylines of the site, or you feel it ventures to far away from your focus, just let me know and I will take the next exit...Thanks, Greywolf.

Attachments

• ready to roll Jeep.jpg
    ready to roll Jeep.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 76