I am new and i need some advise,will seats from a 1969 modell with headrest fit in a 1966 modell?

• Sponsors (?)

The seats are a direct bolt-in, but they will of course look out of place. If worried about a rear-end collision you might as well swap to aftermarket seats since at that point they aren't going to look any more out of place than headrest seats.

The seats are a direct bolt-in, but they will of course look out of place. If worried about a rear-end collision you might as well swap to aftermarket seats since at that point they aren't going to look any more out of place than headrest seats.
Thank you for your answer,can you recomend a company for these aftermarket seats?I live in Norway and I checked with a supplier of american car parts but the price was ridiculous

Thank you for your answer,can you recomend a company for these aftermarket seats?I live in Norway and I checked with a supplier of american car parts but the price was ridiculous

Well, that's going to depend...there are any number of aftermarket seats out there you could use...or seats from another application retrofitted to a classic mustang. Just as an example, I personally like Pontiac Fiero seats when re-upholstered in a classic mustang:

andrew68vert_med.jpg

But people have also put in seats from later model mustangs, here are some '94 mustang seats in a '66:

0001-jpg.jpg

Or some Corbeau GTS aftermarket seats:

5f41c5cb-b6ca-4939-b539-a59de8d5adf9-jpeg.jpg

It all depends on what you like, I myself am looking for some MK1 Capri seats to put in mine:

73FordCapri-5-1000x667.jpg

I really like the Capri seats because they look almost stock 66 mustang but with better side bolstering.

If your 66 seat frames are in good shape, you can re-upholster them and add bolstering, and even headrests if you want. 66 mustangs have the perfect mustang interior, in my opinion--the Pony interior. I'm a big enough fan that I used it in my 67. TMI's Sport R interior adds substantial bolstering to the front seats, along with alcantra inserts, but retains the classic pony look. They have optional headrests that you can have added if you are looking for the safety of a taller seat back.

Note: Not endorsing the retailer listed in the picture, this is just the best image I found in a quick search. I have no relationship with TMI, and don't get any benefit from my sales pitch. :)
1629500366664.png

they may not look out of place to some1 in a country they did not have the car in originally (anyplace but usa) as the eye does not notice "non-standard". U just need to match upholstery patterns, etc (to back seat, door cards). The '69 was a '65, no? My bronk has those seats (earlier). I find the 'cut out' at the top of the seat for a headrest - the 'ribbon' style (one shinny bar) instead of the '2 chrome post w/ratchet nibs' that I've seen on others - hidden under the upholstery & cotton padding above the foam rubber) cut into the top metal frame.

low-back '69 seats(even with optional headrests) were not the same as a '65-'66. The difference is that from 68+ the seats were locking...which reduces injury in the event of a collision if you do not have shoulder belts. The high back seats that came in the Mach-1 and other sport models do not have removable headrests.

To be clear, Ford offered optional(though ugly) headrests even on 65-66 models through Rotunda.

If your 66 seat frames are in good shape, you can re-upholster them and add bolstering, and even headrests if you want. 66 mustangs have the perfect mustang interior, in my opinion--the Pony interior. I'm a big enough fan that I used it in my 67. TMI's Sport R interior adds substantial bolstering to the front seats, along with alcantra inserts, but retains the classic pony look. They have optional headrests that you can have added if you are looking for the safety of a taller seat back.

Note: Not endorsing the retailer listed in the picture, this is just the best image I found in a quick search. I have no relationship with TMI, and don't get any benefit from my sales pitch. :)
1629500366664.png

In general I am a fan of the pony interior...except for the seats. The Pony seats look horrible if you combine them with the pony door panels. The reason is pretty simple, the pleats on the door panels are narrow...the pleats on the seat are wide... then you have the fact that the pleats change for no reason from horizontal to vertical once above the(needless) emblem in the seat back.....which then changes back to horizontal when looking at the rear seats...which then again changes back to vertical...its a confusing eyesore of an interior.

That being said, if you combine Standard seats with Pony door panels all the problems go away...all the pleats are the same size flowing in the same direction.

I can't find a picture of that combo, but this is fairly close, except with std 65 door panels:

1629748742926.jpeg

Standard interior for 65, pleats are the same size and flow the same direction.

oSjWC1ysrrDQsm-vvTFUBg-ckL9TlgmI1k8FX-F6Io5hNsE_KQ.jpg

65 Pony interior...did Ford all of a sudden go blind when designing this? Pleats can't decide what direction they are going, the width is different between the seats and the doors, the saving grace is that the molded arm rests and door handles are more upscale.

Last edited: