I bought another freakin boat

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
Got her for 700 bucks, got a 305 in it with 40 hours on a rebuild. Runs great, needs some drive work an thats it. I'm pretty happy with her. I had no luck with the ol Bayliner I had so hopefully I'll have luck with this one!
DSCN5300.jpg

DSCN5299.jpg

DSCN5298.jpg

DSCN5297.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yea she's a bit ugly, Im about to buff her an get her shining again. An yea its a Merc, has 40 hours on a new long block. She needs like 1500 to be up to near perfect running shape for the lake next year. Gotta get some side jobs!

yes indeed it was, my problem was that the gear off the timing belt that runs the distributor stripped out, not the one on the distributor. I got one out of a 2.3 mustang we parted out but there was no fuel pump eccentric on it so I said screw it, went out on my buddies boat all summer and now I have a V8 with a Merc, I think I should have a little better luck with this one this time around.

Hey, have you ever thought of giving a boat a badass paint job?? I know you do good work, and honestly, Michigan is a big boating state and I NEVER see any old boats (which most of the time aren't too pretty) have badass paint jobs?

I'd match that boat to your car man! How baddass would that be???

will never have a boat with an i/o again - if i ever do (unlikely) it will be an OB only

If I knew I was going to buy a boat that needed mechanical work, I'd do a pure inboard. Standard V8 parts and no outdrive to mess with.

Of course, an inboard requires a lot more care when navigating shallow areas...

Hey, have you ever thought of giving a boat a badass paint job?? I know you do good work, and honestly, Michigan is a big boating state and I NEVER see any old boats (which most of the time aren't too pretty) have badass paint jobs?

I'd match that boat to your car man! How baddass would that be???

That is a cool idea, but wouldn't it have to be a gelcoat paint? Not sure what goes into that. Also, that black surface would get HOT in the sun.

That is a cool idea, but wouldn't it have to be a gelcoat paint? Not sure what goes into that. Also, that black surface would get HOT in the sun.

It sure would get hot. It'd have to be only a little bit on black on the bottom. Not sure on what type of paint. A lot of body shops around here paint jet skis. I'm sure it doesn't hold up because jet skis get pounded against docks and other boats. Either way, paint fades, even gel coat. It's a shame, but hey, they're in the water all the time, ya know? My Dad has a 2000 Sea Ray he bought new, he never waxes or rubs it and it still shines like new. Bought our old Bayliner faded BAAAAAD.

It sure would get hot. It'd have to be only a little bit on black on the bottom. Not sure on what type of paint. A lot of body shops around here paint jet skis. I'm sure it doesn't hold up because jet skis get pounded against docks and other boats. Either way, paint fades, even gel coat. It's a shame, but hey, they're in the water all the time, ya know? My Dad has a 2000 Sea Ray he bought new, he never waxes or rubs it and it still shines like new. Bought our old Bayliner faded BAAAAAD.

Yea, and it all depends on how you store the boat, too. We've always been really particular with keeping our boats covered up. Paint fades quick when it's exposed to the sun.

I think black on the bottom up to the rub rail and then a light silver on top. Run a red stripe around the rub rail, that'd be close to his car, right? Have to redo the interior, because that tan/blue just wouldn't work with the black/silver haha.

I rotary polish all the exposed fiberglass on our boat once a year, right before it goes in the water for the summer. It's a lot of work, but it keeps the stuff looking brand new.

My last boat was a twin I/O, the new one is twin I/B. I like the inboard a lot better. A motor is a motor for the most part, but the drive system on the inboard just gives me a sigh of relief.

BTW I think the V8 Mercruiser engine will be much easier to deal with than an OMC. Much easier getting parts!

Gotta be careful regardless in shallow water. Clipped a submerged island just out side the channel behind sea isle a few years ago at WOT. That'll bring an end to your day and your out drive quickly.

True, but at least with an I/O or a straight outboard you can "trim up". An inboard either clears or it won't. Also, I/Os and outboards protect the prop a little better. A traditional inboard exposes the whole prop and part of the driveshaft, which hoses you if you manage to find a sunk log or rock.

Funny story: Once when I was in high school, I was out with a friend on his parent's boat. The kid was known to be a little clueless. We were swinging into another friend's pier, in an area I knew was shallow. I told him to raise the trim, and he did, but he missed the parking spot he was going for and decided to go for one closer to shore (shallower water). Without warning, he throttled up and headed for the next spot, but the water there was maybe, MAYBE 18" deep. Not only did he hit bottom, but the boat SKIDDED TO A STOP and then TILTED onto it's side. :rlaugh:

True, but at least with an I/O or a straight outboard you can "trim up". An inboard either clears or it won't. Also, I/Os and outboards protect the prop a little better. A traditional inboard exposes the whole prop and part of the driveshaft, which hoses you if you manage to find a sunk log or rock.

Funny story: Once when I was in high school, I was out with a friend on his parent's boat. The kid was known to be a little clueless. We were swinging into another friend's pier, in an area I knew was shallow. I told him to raise the trim, and he did, but he missed the parking spot he was going for and decided to go for one closer to shore (shallower water). Without warning, he throttled up and headed for the next spot, but the water there was maybe, MAYBE 18" deep. Not only did he hit bottom, but the boat SKIDDED TO A STOP and then TILTED onto it's side. :rlaugh:

hahaha ...it does suck to do stuff like that because you feel like a total dope.
Yeah I wasnt thinking i was following 2 waverunners out. Didnt completely ruin the drive but it pushed it up and blew the hydraulics out so I had to stand on the drive to get it go back down as well as climb out to push off. Get back in and got gang raped by 40 greenheads or so, then stepped on my new oakleys that i took off so I would lose em in the water. That was a crappy day.
...who brought up the subject of boats damn it.:nonono: reliving that nightmare.

hahaha ...it does suck to do stuff like that because you feel like a total dope.
Yeah I wasnt thinking i was following 2 waverunners out. Didnt completely ruin the drive but it pushed it up and blew the hydraulics out so I had to stand on the drive to get it go back down as well as climb out to push off. Get back in and got gang raped by 40 greenheads or so, then stepped on my new oakleys that i took off so I would lose em in the water. That was a crappy day.
...who brought up the subject of boats damn it.:nonono: reliving that nightmare.

But you know what, it's all worth it when you're out there on that beautiful 95 degree day, kicked back with a beer in your hand and your babe sunning on the back. :nice: