I Cant find the fuel filter!!

Danny-Boi

Oct 5, 2003
I looked and looked but i cant find it. My car is lowered so maybe i cant get under it far enough. Do I have to jack it up and put it on jack stands? Or, should i be able to see it with out doing that?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Depends how low you are :D

BTW, just in case you haven't thought of it, before you change it, pull the fuel pump relay and run the vehicle until it starves itself and runs out of fuel to run on - no more explosive gasoline spill when you go to take it off.

If you know what your fuel filter looks like (assuming your replacing it and have one bought)...the fuel filter will be easily seen...there will probably be dirt all over it... but is very noticeable...I advise wearing glasses when removing/installing...because you don't want dirt and gasoline in your eyes...

Where is that fuel pump relay located at?...is that the one in the hatch area by the lights you unplug?

Mustang5L5 said:
You can do it without jacking anything up but it's a tight squeeze
maybe you can. LOL. some of us are not so, ahhh, svelte. :)

i would add that you can trace the fuel lines and find it. while tracing, take a look at the lines - sometimes with aftermarket exhausts, the lines are allowed to touch the exhaust. make sure you are not about to burn through a line.

good luck.

FrdMustangCpe said:
quick dumb question, my FF is lookin pretty beat. how often are you supposed to replace them?
i cant remember the spec, but i tend to do it once a year. i think you can go two years though....i cant remember.

no opening the gas cap will not relieve fuel system pressure!! the way i do it is hook up a fuel pressure gauge and use the pressure relief button/hose on the gauge. if you dont have a gauge then the best/safest way to do it is to remove the fuel pump relay and run the car till it dies.

The one located in the hatch is the inertia switch. Its usually more work to get to because you have to removes some plastic panels. Compared to reaching under your seat. Either way works, just crank the car over and let it run until it dies.

I did the inertia switch one...I unplugged it...(the car had been sitting 3 hours)...and then I went to start the car...and it just turned over but didn't start...is 3 hours long enough for the car to release it's own fuel pressure...?...fuel still came out of the fuel filter...probably enough to fill 1/2 a cup...

5spd GT said:
I did the inertia switch one...I unplugged it...(the car had been sitting 3 hours)...and then I went to start the car...and it just turned over but didn't start...is 3 hours long enough for the car to release it's own fuel pressure...?...fuel still came out of the fuel filter...probably enough to fill 1/2 a cup...
i think you would need to get the car to start to bleed off the pressure.
ive never done any of that. i get fuel in my armpit no matter what, so i just pop a line and drain the fuel into a jar.
just me. good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
i think you would need to get the car to start to bleed off the pressure.
ive never done any of that. i get fuel in my armpit no matter what, so i just pop a line and drain the fuel into a jar.
just me. good luck.

Well I did this like 2 months ago...but was wondering why the car didn't even start...dumb question and mistake I could have made...I probably had the battery cable off (doing spark plugs also at same time)...would the car try to turnover with the negative battery cable off the battery...it tried to start but didn't turn on...????

5sp, i dont think a motor will turn over with no neg cable attached. :)

remember, even if you have no fuel pressure, the car still turns over (it cant catch cuz it is missing fuel).

Brimak, i will normally cycle the key on and off a couple of times to build full pressure back up. i dont think you even need to do that. the pump moves a lot of fuel - and a lot of folks dont even realize how much pressure they lose overnight, etc, if their system bleeds pressure off when the car is off.