I FINALLY BOUGHT ONE!

beanplant

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2002
KC MO
I finally did it. I found a 69 mustang grande thursday, and bought it. I got it for $3200. Its got a 302 and a C6 tranny. Body looks good, minimal rust. Paint is decent. Brand new wheels and tires. Yellow body, black top, black and dark green interior.
It runs strong except the idle. I can't seem to fix it. I have to make it idle around 1300 for it to stay running in park and neutral. And when I put it in gear, it wants to die unless i give it a lil gas. If anyone knows how to fix that, tell me lol.
That shouldn't be a big problem for too long though. I found a brand new 302 one of my friend's buddies is sellin. Brand new heads, pistons, rods, rockers, ect... Everything but the intake all for $500. I can get an edelbrock through my work (O'Reilly) for about $180.
So hopefully in not too long, I'll be pulling the engine thats in it, completely cleaning the car up in the engine compartment, and probably re-wiring the car to my organization. Then droppin' it in
Also, the Trunk is the only place with rust... =, ( What can I replace it with? Should I cut it out and just get some sheet metal to weld in? Thanks guys! Thanks for listenin to me rant!

-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

Nice! Classics are more fun :D
I'm not the greatest troubleshooter, so I won't even go offering you a wrong opinion on the idle problem heh.

I'd definately rewire the car before it's all fixed up. I was wishin I did for about six months while I had a powerleak I could not find for the life of me.

Check out www.nationalpartsdepot.com they have the sheetmetal you'll need for your trunk. You'll need Acrobat Reader to view it, and once your there click on Body Parts and Sheet Metal. Its on page 11/13.
I'm sure other places carry them too so shop around.
Good luck!

:nice: glad to see you got a 69.

like above try the vacuum leak check with wd40 around the intake(front and back) spray it where the gaskets are and if the idle jumps on you, its a leak. also hit the carb gasket with wd40 and replace all your vac. lines.

do you know how long the car sat up (if at all) before you got it?

do you know the yaar of the 302 your getting? you might need to swap some parts(timing cover/waterpump) to make it go smoothly into youe car.

black and green interior not factory. prolly should be all black. but thats if you really care about any kind origionality. on my car i do in some areas, but in others i could care less. i've had my grande a while and have done alot of work to it so i can help. if you need pics of certin things or anything give me a ring.

i moderate over at 1969stang.com 's forum. if you need me i'm easy to reach there. i also have a small site with plenty of pics for referance. be glad to help out anyway i can.

congrats, "classics" are the best by far...

for that problem sounds like there may be somthing wrong with the torque converter if she wants to die in gear at idle.

and i agree fix that trunk and clean her up good :).

Fixed the idle problem. I work at oreilly, so a few of the guys know a lot about carbs and such. We hooked up my vacuum advace, and he piddled with my carb, and it runs great now.
Syberjunkie, I live close to gladstone, MO. like 3 houses into KC. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be on here a lot when i have time! Thanks again!

-Shaun

beanplant said:
We hooked up my vacuum advace, and he piddled with my carb, and it runs great now.

Hehe, good to hear! If you had an idle problem with a late model it would not have been a parking lot thing, you'd have needed the diagnostic computer and a certified guy to go with it :D