I got another crazy idea...

jordanvraptor

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2002
Oregon City, OR
I was wondering if anyone has rigged up their AC system to cool their supercharger fluid? I have heard this is planned for the new Lightning. I also remember posts about someone using a secondary tank of ice-chilled fluid that is diverted into the supercharger just before a run. I was thinking that you splice into one of the AC lines and install a two way valve that you can manually turn on and off. Then you run the secondary line you spliced off your AC line into a homemade heat exchanger that could fit into the fenderwell. The heat exchanger's return line would also feed into this new heat exchanger. The diverted AC cold line would coil around inside the heat exchanger and cool the return fluid from the stock or aftermarket heat exchanger. The cooled fluid would then go back into the supercharger. The AC line would loop through the fluid and exit and go back into its normal route through another two way valve. With these mods you would need increased AC coolant capacity and more intercooler coolant as well. The diverter valves could be used only at the track and turned off for normal use of your AC. Temperature guages could also be installed when you did the work to monitor the temps.

Do you think this is worth doing? Would cooled down intercooler fluid going directly into the supercharger make much of a difference? Just think, as you are idling and moving up the line for your run, you run your AC and cool down your intercooler fluid. Whe its time to make the run, switch off your AC, or not since WOT cuts out the compressor clutch anyway, and away you go.

Just a thought, whatcha think? :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

you'd be better off just looking into a water/alcohol injection system if you're set on keeping the eaton on it in all honesty. By the time you spend the money designing an AC based heat exchanger you could have had a kenne bell.

The new lightnings have their system hooked to some time monitored thing. From what I read, I runs for like 45 seconds at a time and then needs to recharge....I didn't see how long it takes to recharge. I think it opens at a certain RPM range....I wasn't quite clear on that. I don't know how they measured the 45 seconds time?? :shrug: It would be kind of a cool idea though. It is supposed to be like an extra 50 horses or something like that.

Man, when I first read the title I thought you were gonna paint your balls to match your car. :D

Just kidding. Sorry if I made anyone sick.

On a more serious note, you do have a "cool" idea, but I don't know how effective it would be. I thought that the Lightning one had a charge tank that stored the cool air then dumped a blast into the intake. It would have to have some brain mechanism that knew when it was going to unload the cold air and then advance the timing to make the most of it. I think you would spend a lot of time and money trying to put a system together that may or may not work. Plus you would end up hacking the crap out of your car trying to run all the lines. If you want a little bang for the buck, I would....

Port your Eaton
or
Spray some Naaawwwzzzz
or
Get a KB

All the above options would be easier than the "super ac mod 2000."

Sounds interesting, but I would have to agree with 909. You're better off hooking up a dry shot of nitrous. Much easier to plumb and do. Probably a ton better at producing power too!

Speaking of Nitrous, I'd like to possibly find a cheap deal on a dry kit. Maybe a 20HP shot just to cooldown the intake. :shrug:

Hotrodsun said:
I think the power you loose to turn the ac compress is going to be equal or greater then the gain you might see.

Actually that's not entirely true, especially if it were to be implemented with a "storage container" for the compressed refrigerent. The compressor would have to run prior to it's use to build up a charge but during the high speed run the compressor would be off and not drawing any load on the engine. The first time this was implemented was on the Mach-III (I think that's what they called it anyway) concept car that came out in the early 90's. It was one of the first showcases for the 4V modular motor and sported an Eaton with an intermittent refrigerant based intercooler. Unfortunetly the car was so f'ing ugly that most people never payed much attention to it.

In short my take (expounding some on what I said in my first post) it could be done, and would probably net some fairly good gains if you could it to work along with the tuning system to actually get the power gains from the reduced air charge temps, but I don't think it would be very cost effective to implement.

Oh and DarkVador does bring up a good point about condensation, however I don't think it would be too much of an issue. You would only get condensation if you are dropping temp of a the heat exchanger exterior (the tank in which you would be cooling the intercooler coolant) below ambiant and I doubt that would be the case in this system.

jordanvraptor said:
I might be interested Nate, but you have to help me install it... :shrug:

Tou, Weren't you supposed to be selling the Cobra, or did he flake again? :bang:

Yeah, he flaked out again. It's not entirely his fault. He is dead serious about the car -- he just couldn't clear his first loan before getting another one on my car. Oh well, I still have his $500 non-refundable deposit.

On a good note, the sale of my employer or company fell through. That means I still have my job for a while until another possible buyer comes along.

Nate, I just PM'd you back. Tell me more about the NOS system.

Jordan, you considering shooting Nitrous as well? Man, the summer heat really kills the power on these cars. A small dose of laughing gas will probably do wonders for these cars. It's also nice to be packing some extra punch when you need it (well, for those of us who may need it). This is definitely a lot cheaper in the short-run vs. doing a KB or whipple.