I Had An Epiphany Last Night

T-Sho

Jul 31, 2006
I was having a conversation with my dad last night about the next phase of "customizing my stang". I was discussing with him what I was going to do next, how much it would cost, etc. Then my dad posed this question to me, "Why are you spending all this money, time, frustrations building something that would be so much easier to just go purchase from the start?" And I thought about it for a minute and he was right. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my GT. It has served me well for the past three years. But I've already poured about 5 grand in it trying to convert it into a Stage 3 Roush and I HAVN'T EVEN TOUCHED THE ENGINE :eek: . I mean I'm out of college now, I have a decent paying job (Keyword: DECENT), I have no kids and I'm not planning on getting married anytime soon :D so why not just go purchase what I wanted from the start :shrug:. I've always wanted a SN95 Saleen since they first came out. My buddy and I used to drool all over them at every car show we went too :drool: . I done a little research already and found that most 02-04 Saleens are going between 20-28k right now. Now I know some of you would yell to me "GET A TERMINATOR FOR THAT PRICE" but here is my reasoning for choosing the Saleen over the Termi:

1) APPEARANCE: You get noticed more in the Saleen. 90% of Non-Mustang Entusiast think the Saleens are the biggest, baddest mustangs on the planet. If you know me personally, then you know that I have always been the type of guy who has to own all the flashiest things, from the newest shoes, to the flashiest suits (now that I'm in the business world), to the 30" LCD TV I have in my room :D . So the Saleen would fit my personality perfectly.

2) INSURANCE: Being under 25 (I'll be 24 in December) I am still subjected to the "Minor in Sportscar" rates. I'm pretty sure its cheaper to insure a 285HP Saleen than a 390HP Cobra. This is perhaps the main reason for my decision.

I am currently look for a 2002-2004 Black (although I could live with white or blue) Saleen Coupe. I have a personal bias against convertables. I want the Non-Supercharged one because I would prefer to add my own supercharger later. If any of you guys run across run please let me know. Or if you guys can give me an avenue to search that would be great too. Much luv to my fellow stangers :flag: .

• Sponsors (?)

2) INSURANCE: Being under 25 (I'll be 24 in December) I am still subjected to the "Minor in Sportscar" rates. I'm pretty sure its cheaper to insure a 285HP Saleen than a 390HP Cobra. This is perhaps the main reason for my decision.

If this is your main reason, then find out for sure. One year of high(er) insurance premiums may not be too much for a Terminator.

It sounds like you're set on the Saleen. Good luck. :flag:

uh....so, you're gonna get a body kitted GT (saleen) and be EXACTLY where you are now...i dont see the point...285hp is not supercharged...and its not gonna be forged....thats what you have now

Like I said HP is not my biggest concern (otherwise I would get a Cobra). My GT has never seen the track. Like you said "exactly where I am right now". But why spend another 2-3 grand finishing off a body kit when I can get a car that already has one? :shrug:. No offense to GT guys (I still am one) but everybody has one. Like I said I've always wanted a Saleen from day 1.

uh....so, you're gonna get a body kitted GT (saleen) and be EXACTLY where you are now...i dont see the point...285hp is not supercharged...and its not gonna be forged....thats what you have now

+1 You will lose the money you pumped into your car to just go and buy the exact same thing only it will be a Saleen not a Roush and it will cost much more than the cars worth.

Sorry but I never seen the point in buying a Slaeen or Roush because they cost soo much more than a base GT dose and you can build the same car, even better for less money.

+1 You will lose the money you pumped into your car to just go and buy the exact same thing only it will be a Saleen not a Roush and it will cost much more than the cars worth.

Sorry but I never seen the point in buying a Slaeen or Roush because they cost soo much more than a base GT dose and you can build the same car, even better for less money.

But it wouldn't be authentic...... besides my car already has 64,000 miles on it. I'm sure I can find a Saleen with half that.

And if something where to ever happen to my GT, I wreck it or it gets stolen, the insurance is only going to cover it as a GT with 64,000 miles on it. They won't give me a dime for the money I've spent on aftermarket stuff.

Off topic, you said you have already spent 5 grand but i look at you mod list and im just trying to figure out how you spent that much. unless you bought everything brand new then maybe i could see that.

1) APPEARANCE: You get noticed more in the Saleen. 90% of Non-Mustang Entusiast think the Saleens are the biggest, baddest mustangs on the planet. If you know me personally, then you know that I have always been the type of guy who has to own all the flashiest things, from the newest shoes, to the flashiest suits (now that I'm in the business world), to the 30" LCD TV I have in my room :D . So the Saleen would fit my personality perfectly.

.[/QUOTE]

So your getting a Saleen because they notice you more. Try reving a Termi and see who loooks at the "normal" mustang. Saleen and Roush are all about the name. Get the real deal and stop showing off.

"Why are you spending all this money, time, frustrations building something that would be so much easier to just go purchase from the start?"

well maybe I'm alone in this, but sometimes it's as much about the journey as the destination...I mean, why buy an empty canvas and bunch of paint when you can buy a picture from K-Mart...

for some of us modifying a car is as satisfying as having the completed car...anybody can go out and buy something, but not everybody can create something...

but like I said maybe it's just me and nobody actually enjoys working on their own projects anymore :shrug:

Off topic, you said you have already spent 5 grand but i look at you mod list and im just trying to figure out how you spent that much. unless you bought everything brand new then maybe i could see that.

Yeah I bought everything brand new. The most expensive things were the Suspension upgrade (springs, shocks, and struts), the conversion to the side exhaust with tips, and the Roush Chrome rims.

So your getting a Saleen because they notice you more. Try reving a Termi and see who loooks at the "normal" mustang. Saleen and Roush are all about the name. Get the real deal and stop showing off.[/QUOTE]

Like I said: INSURANCE

you alway's wanted a Saleen,get a Saleen. a body kit Gt may look the same but to YOU it is just that. Get what you want,it's your car and don't settle for any other color than the one you want or you will be wishing you had it and the "dream" won't be complete

im with every1 else on this one man, after you start doing performance mods, they get addicting and you will wish you woulda just bought a termi in the first place. besides i would look at a terminator way before a saleen. maybe its just me... dont get me wrong, i like the looks of the saleen, but the cost of a kitted gt isnt worth it imo, not when a terminator can be had for the same price and a few extra dollars in insurance.

you better check on insurance for the saleen and cobra, I'm gonna guess that there is not going to be that much of a difference. also if you are going to spend the money for the car you have always wanted then why not buy the supercharged version. you will probably have to up your insurance some if you want them to replace it if something happens to it. it won't always hold its value.

But then you could always up your insurance on the one you have, build it exactly the way you want it and pay it off sooner then starting all over again. because it may be a saleen and all that but you are still going to want to personalize it to fit you.

I have always wanted a saleen too. and I am making my gt look like one someday. a little at a time. But I have a family so I have to do what I can when I can. and spending $25 to $30k for a saleen just wasn't in the budget. especially when I still need a winter car and we also had to buy my 16yr. old a car too. My wife is really good about this, but she's also there to make sure I don't over do it at the same time. she's a car nut too so that helps.

well maybe I'm alone in this, but sometimes it's as much about the journey as the destination...I mean, why buy an empty canvas and bunch of paint when you can buy a picture from K-Mart...

for some of us modifying a car is as satisfying as having the completed car...anybody can go out and buy something, but not everybody can create something...

but like I said maybe it's just me and nobody actually enjoys working on their own projects anymore :shrug:

See thats the thing. Yeah I liked modding my stang. Its just that when all is said and done I'm going to be mad to have spent 10-15 grand on a car I bought for 20.

you alway's wanted a Saleen,get a Saleen. a body kit Gt may look the same but to YOU it is just that. Get what you want,it's your car and don't settle for any other color than the one you want or you will be wishing you had it and the "dream" won't be complete

Blkhorse I notice that your car is a convertable. Do you have any regrets owning it instead of the coupe? Personally I'm not a fan of convertables. You always hear about leaks and cockpit noises and I'll always fear some jealous S.O.B. taking a knife to my top. I found two convertables being sold here in Houston.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003...oryZ6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...oryZ6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you think these are good deals? Maybe too good? :shrug: