I HATE buying wheels!!!!!

CornerCarvin67

Dec 30, 2004
Not only is it a pain to figure out what style.... it's a pain to figure out what size tire to put on them. It's a huge decision because like must of us... we can't afford to be wrong!!

I called LRS.. Tony was helpful. But everything I read tells me a 255/40/17 is gonna be too wide up front. I DON'T want my stuff hanging out the fenders or rubbing horribly.

Well they're 17x9 wheel packages recommend that tire.

And from everything I read the 275/40 will fit in the rear.

But I don't want to find out the hard way it won't!!

The catch here is that these places offer free mounting and balancing. It will save me a bunch of cash purchasing them complete rather than just getting the wheels and playing around locally.

What a serious pain in the arse.

I don't know what to do.

I guess the safest thing is to get tires locally where if they don't fit than I can switch them. If I order them mounted and they don't fit I'm stuck.

this sucks..

• Sponsors (?)

I got the 17x9 93 cobra replicas. 255/40/17 front 275/40/17 back(summoto 11"wide in the back), Car is lowered with eibach prokit and only time it rubs is in the front at full lock but just barely. Back I had to beat the inner fenders in just alittle but fits good

Not only is it a pain to figure out what style.... it's a pain to figure out what size tire to put on them. It's a huge decision because like must of us... we can't afford to be wrong!!

I called LRS.. Tony was helpful. But everything I read tells me a 255/40/17 is gonna be too wide up front. I DON'T want my stuff hanging out the fenders or rubbing horribly.

Well they're 17x9 wheel packages recommend that tire.

And from everything I read the 275/40 will fit in the rear.

But I don't want to find out the hard way it won't!!

The catch here is that these places offer free mounting and balancing. It will save me a bunch of cash purchasing them complete rather than just getting the wheels and playing around locally.

What a serious pain in the arse.

I don't know what to do.

I guess the safest thing is to get tires locally where if they don't fit than I can switch them. If I order them mounted and they don't fit I'm stuck.

this sucks..
I too would be hesitant about running 255's up front but that seems to be the smallest reasonable size for a 9" wheel. I see plenty of guys running rear 275's so I don't think that's a problem. I'm in a similar boat. I already know which wheels I'm going with (Pony R's) but I agonized over whether to go with 9" or 10" out back. I decided that 10's would be overkill for my basically stock '92 but I still feel like I might regret not getting them. I'm going 8" (245/45) for the fronts so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have run 245's on my 17x9's and have never had an issue. Its a great fit. Have the 275's on the rear and no fitment issues. No need to beat my fenders out. Car is also lowered, see THIS THREAD on pics and info on mine.

17X9's will not stick out if you are running 4lug fox stuff or 94-95 spindles. 255 will help keep them in a little as well. 96-04 spindles will push out 17X9's for sure.

17X9's will not stick out if you are running 4lug fox stuff or 94-95 spindles. 255 will help keep them in a little as well. 96-04 spindles will push out 17X9's for sure.

the 94-95 spindles do push out, been there done that. most cars dont rub with them and a 255 tire though, but mine does with a 245 :shrug: either production tolerances or because it got hit in the front. mines also an 89, so my fender openings in the front arent as open as the 91+

Okay... 245 up front is the consensus.

but which one 245/40 or 245/45?

mine are 245/45 front with 275/40 rear. makes the fronts and rears closer height wise.

however, when i get around to putting new tires on mine im doing 255's up front, full-lock wheel rub be damned. the 245's just look too narrow on the 9" rim. ive got about 3/16-1/4" of rim lip that sticks out past the tire. the 275's look just right though.

Yeah... I'm lucky I have the 92' fenders.

But dang it... this is exactly what I'm talking about. I keep going BACK AND FORTH. I like the 93' Cobras, then a buddy tells me they look like hub caps so that's out. Then I like the 10th anniversery's (new in 4 lug), but I'm wary of the fit because they're so new that there isn't much feedback from people using them... how do they fit? Good? So then I'm back to the 95 Cobras.... but I DON'T like the polished lip. So I figure the Ford Racing version is the safest bet. I get the tires sizes figured out.... and then BAM!!! I notice the Ford version is only 8" wide!!! dang it..

How will the 275 look on an 8" wheel?

it'll probably be a bit big unless you go nittos (theyre always narrower than what they say). would probably still work though. just for reference a 275 nitto dr on a 17x9 in the back
Stang023.jpg

mine are 245/45 front with 275/40 rear. makes the fronts and rears closer height wise.

however, when i get around to putting new tires on mine im doing 255's up front, full-lock wheel rub be damned. the 245's just look too narrow on the 9" rim. ive got about 3/16-1/4" of rim lip that sticks out past the tire. the 275's look just right though.
That was my thinking as well: that the 245 would expose too much lip. Very nice GT, btw. :nice: