i have 1.6 and 1.7 RR's, which ones should i run with my setup?

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
i'm about to put my motor back together, but can't decide which set i'm going to install. i have some crane/ford 1.7 roller rockers and a set of proform 1.6 rockers. my mods are everything in my sig, and i'm installing a set of thumper heads with 1.94/1.6 valves, an afm n-412 cam, and my 24# squirter's are going back on with a matching 75mm proflow MAF. afm's site says to use 1.6's, but what do you guys think? here are the specs on my cam:

N-412 Cam Spec

Engine 302HO/351

Duration at .006 -- Int. 276 Exh. 284
Duration at .050 -- Int. 222 Exh. 230
Timing events at .050 --Int. 3/39 Exh. 51/-1
Lobe lift @ cam -- Int. .320 Exh. .320

Gross Valve Lift w/1.6 Int. 0.512 Exh. 0.512

-Lobe Seperation 112
-Degree intake Lobe to 108
-Valve Lash (hot) Int. & Exh. 0

the lift will be .544 with the 1.7's. and ptv clearance won't be an issue with my pistons.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah i actually have heard about doing that and it did cross my mind, but i havent really heard that much about it and any effects, if any. but if i were to do that, why shouldn't i just run straight 1.7's?

I would think that you should just run the 1.7s, especially since you feel like P-T-V clearance won't be an issue. Build the motor with the 1.7s, run it a few times to make sure they work well, then sell the 1.6s to some sucker that wants to run split ratio. :nice: Either way, I think you may be splitting hairs, I've never heard of anyone making more than ~10hp by switching from stockers to rollers. I'd think switching between 1.6 and 1.7 RRs, you'll see even less difference.

I would think that you should just run the 1.7s, especially since you feel like P-T-V clearance won't be an issue. Build the motor with the 1.7s, run it a few times to make sure they work well, then sell the 1.6s to some sucker that wants to run split ratio. :nice: Either way, I think you may be splitting hairs, I've never heard of anyone making more than ~10hp by switching from stockers to rollers. I'd think switching between 1.6 and 1.7 RRs, you'll see even less difference.

yeah that's probably what i'm going to end up doing. hah yeah i didn't think this was going to be the 'end all' power maker, but since i have both, i wanted to make sure i have the better set in there. thanks everyone for your input!