• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

I Like And Respect My 4.6l Mustang

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robert Arco
  • Start date Start date Apr 23, 2017

Robert Arco

Active Member
Jan 28, 2017
49
12
28
Apr 23, 2017
#1
  • Apr 23, 2017
  • #1
This is a post of love for the style and performance of my Mustang. Some people go crazy for the newer models, the bigger horsepower, but I have to say, I would not switch (and I could if I wanted to). Many tend to look down on the 4.6L 3v as the shortchanged older brother to todays 5.0 Coyote motors (and no disrespect to the 5.0 lovers), but my S197 has something I think they lack - Mustang style..I will explain

In October of 2009, I was looking for a new car at a Ford dealership. I didn't find what I wanted, but the salesman pushed me toward a leftover 2008 Mustang GT California Special Convertible. I was not interested in that as "my car" but of course loved the way it looked. He convinced me to test drive, I did and he said he could get me the best price ...I said well, you will have to take a lot off...they did ...I grabbed her and a new love was born I hadn't felt since muscle car years in the 70's.

Now I said I really love my S197 but why? The lines, the shape, the lights identify to me - Mustang. I am not impressed with newer styles where they have tried to follow the "sleek" lines of other cars to appeal to the masses. Its not a question of being resistant to change; I like sleek cars. But for the Mustang, the nose should be squared as should be the tail. This is part of what made the Mustang iconic.

So I am sure people who one Foxbodies, older models, newer models, etc. may feel the same way. Why else would you own one ? (though I really don't get Mustang II people...lol).

Call it underpowered and I will come back and say "Well, let me take you for a ride and you tell me if it feels like enough". I throw my top down, crank up the Shaker 1000 and roll through the gears and I am a happy man and isn't that what its all about ?

Thanks for listening...
 

Adieu

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 7, 2002
9,531
5,187
224
Apr 23, 2017
#2
  • Apr 23, 2017
  • #2
I'm with ya. I bought a 2010 GT with the 4.6 and 5spd in June 2010, having already driven a 2011 with the 5.0/6spd combo. The 5spd alone was so much better and the 4.6 sounded so much better that I decided I'd make up the 97hp later with a blower.

If you don't get II people... Well.. You probably never will. That's okay. We don't want you to get it.
 

SpartaPerformance

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
2,517
61
89
Long Island NY
Apr 24, 2017
#3
  • Apr 24, 2017
  • #3
I love my 3 valve too, I'm making 388 HP to the rear wheels N/A. Sure it cost a bit but I like the surprise on peoples faces.
 
Reactions: chgovfk and Robert Arco
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
Electrical problems with passenger side downstream o2 sensor
  • Lexiii12
  • Sep 14, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
74
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Lexiii12
L
S
Brakes 80 Mustang 4.2 rear chassis brake line for 5 lug conversion!
  • StangPowerLSX510
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
131
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 9, 2026
limp
New gal in San Diego
  • Mustang Momma
  • Feb 11, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
243
The Welcome Wagon Feb 11, 2026
Mcmahst
Looking forward to collaborating with my new community
  • phil2001svt
  • Thursday at 5:08 PM
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
10
Views
173
The Welcome Wagon Sunday at 7:56 PM
DadLife0724
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
213
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?