I made a little problem for myself and need help

I was replacing my engine oil dip stick tube and it broke off on the block. I tried to pry it up but broke off even with the hole. So I took a sharp punch and bent in one side so I could get a hold of it with some long nose plyers. Did not go so well. The broke off part fell into the oil pan. My question is- Can I drive the Mustang to the shop to have this taken care of? I only have a gravel carport and do not feel like laying in the gravel for an hour or so taking the parts off in order to get the pan off. I also have a bad back. Should I drain the oil and replace it first? What is the chanch of that part of the tube gittint into the block? I use to change my own oil years ago but now there are so many rules and I do not get around as good as I use to being 67. I am in no means a mechanic so their job is safe with me. Thanks
By the way. My engine is a 289 in a 65 Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

The oil dipstick tube isn't in the block, it's in the timing cover. Removing the timing cover will give you access to the sump, so you can extract the broken tool with a claw, and remove the stump of the old tube. It's a pain, but I'd say it's easier than doing the oil pan.

tcppt-1010abc.jpg

getting it out is the best answer but if you dont have the time just yet,
You can get a large magnet like on a speaker and just stick it to the bottom of you oil pan, the deepest part, and the metal dipstick piece will stick there untill you can get it out.

You MIGHT be able to find at your local parts store, a small diameter magnet on a flex shaft....may get lucky with that. Other wise, I probably wouldnt risk running the car with that loose in there. You could tow it, or haul it to the shop...just an idea. Anyway good luck.

The oil dipstick tube isn't in the block, it's in the timing cover. Removing the timing cover will give you access to the sump, so you can extract the broken tool with a claw, and remove the stump of the old tube. It's a pain, but I'd say it's easier than doing the oil pan.

How hard is it to remove the timing cover? Looks like the oil pan is attached to the timing cover with the front oil pan gasket and do not know where to start. Is it hard to get the pully and the part with the timing marks on it off? (could not think of the name for that part) I think the tube that was in it was aluminum. It just seemed soft when trying to get it out of there. I have the water pump off at the moment, fan and all. But did not take the timing cover off because it looked too hard. John

the pulley should just be bolted to the harmonic balancer. to get the balancer off you will need a harmonic balancer puller which aren't too expensive. you can also just rent one from most parts stores.

When you pull the harmonic balancer, will it only go back on one way? The right way? I am worried about the timeing. Man, all the over a little piece of an oil tube. :(