I Must Be Too Old Because Its Too Loud

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
I bought my car slightly used and the previous owner put on a Borla exhaust system (S-Type I believe) and it sounds really good. The problem is that its too loud and every time I want to get on it a little I'm making a scene and I'm too old to be making a scene! Plus I think the system was made for a 2010-2012 since the tips stick out a little too far and Borla mentioned the same thing when I contacted them about it.

I'm thinking of replacing it with something else but don't want to spend the money and end up with the same problem. You can watch YouTube videos all day long but it really doesn't tell you how loud it is in person.
My car

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXz4Z2ETuwI

Any suggestions for something that will sound good, flow good and not get me dirty looks?

full

• Sponsors (?)

That sounds fine tbh. Its not ''too loud'' unless it's an SLP exhaust :)

Flowmaster makes a more classic and 'humble' rumble if that's what you're looking for. I'm sure others can chime in, or you can hit up the sound effects website for Mustang Exhausts. I forget the address atm.

That's the problem with watching videos. You cant tell how loud it really is. It sounds great but its borderline obscene when it comes to how loud it is. If I were 16 it would be great. I found this but will have to check it out at home with real speakers.
Mustang Axle Back Exhaust Comparison (11-14 5.0L)

I had Magnaflows on my 03 and got tons of compliments on how it sounded and the volume level was perfect. The GT500 option sounds tempting but it appears the tips are kind of cheap looking. Hopefully the exhaust I have will be easy to sell to justify buying a new setup.

I personally never bought Magnaflow or Borla. Not only were they typically more expensive but I just felt they were too bubble/poppy for what a mustang should sound like. I always enjoyed the sound of MAC, Flowmaster and my favorite has been SLP. But SLP is the opposite of what you're looking for really. To date, I have never heard a louder exhaust than an Xpipe and SLP ''Loudmouth'' on my 04 Cobra. Which includes hearing open header cars at the track.

But that's really the thing about exhaust, its unique to the individual. Everyone likes a different kind of sound. That link isn't bad, but I might also recommend maybe hitting a local mustang meet if you're really interested in hearing lots of different options in person, before you shell out the cash.

My personal favorite exhaust sound is an H-pipe with Flowmasters. I know they get a rep for being ''dronemasters'', but they do have that classic sound to them. I typically dislike Xpipes, because of sound alterations, despite their better hp gains.

You're nuts if you swap out that Borla. I know first had what they sound like up close and personal and for me... There's none better.

To Neighbors:

Wakey wakey bichez... It time for me to go to work! :rock:

Reactions: 1 user
2013 Geee T,

I had the same experience as you. I had S-Types but they were a just a bit too loud for my liking. I got some Ford Racing GT500 Touring axle-backs (Item M5230MSVTCA) for $500 from Latemodel Restoration Supply and I could not be happier. Note that these are not the GT500 axle-backs (M5230MGTCA1).

No drone, deep tone, a little louder than stock at idle but not obnoxious, and good tone through the RPM range. Tips are 4" and rolled with the FR logo on top. You will have to drill a drain hole in each muffler (just like the Borla mufflers) but this is not a big deal. Borla has a write-up on how and where to drill the hole.

I don't have a video (no GoPro available here) but you can search YouTube for the part number and should score a video.

The S-types were fantastic sounding mufflers but I like the FR GT500 Touring mufflers better. YMMV!

HTH,

Chris

I've got a set of Borla ProXS muffler on my 331 and they sound outstanding. Still lots of muscle, without the rasp, or the highway drone. And that's with Long Tube headers and an off road X-pipe.

This was after running Flowmasters, Mac's, Pypes and a set of stock S197 on it.

2013 Geee T:

There's a video of RTR mufflers on a 5.0L GT on YouTube (where else??). They do not sound too loud and I considered going with them but the FR GT500 Touring mufflers were $250 less. The tips on the RTR mufflers are clamped on so they can be adjusted to poke out just where you want.

HTH,

Chris

2013 Geee T:

There's a video of RTR mufflers on a 5.0L GT on YouTube (where else??). They do not sound too loud and I considered going with them but the FR GT500 Touring mufflers were $250 less. The tips on the RTR mufflers are clamped on so they can be adjusted to poke out just where you want.

HTH,

Chris

I was reading the reviews on American Muscle and someone made a comment about how loud they are so its hard to tell if its just his opinion or what. I really need to hear some of these in person.

After taking the exhaust out it turns out I had the Atak axle-back so that would explain why was so loud. I went with the RTR Tactical Performance Street Spec Axle-Back Exhaust and its pretty nice and I like the black. Its about half as loud as the Borla and doesn't get much louder when you really get on it. It sounds better outside the car than in the car where its a little muffled but maybe that will change when it breaks in if that really happens. There is also a slight drone at 2000 RPM which blows but its fine with the stereo on. I did a little video of it. Now to sell the Borla and get some of my money back!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks6Shz9lX4Y

2013 Geee T:

Very, very nice! I like those RTR's quite a lot. Your video skills are not too shabby, either, lol. Thanks for posting an update.

I got a good chuckle out of your discovery that the Borlas were ATAK's and not the S-Types. So, you're not getting old, it was just the mufflers!

Chris

2013 Geee T:

Very, very nice! I like those RTR's quite a lot. Your video skills are not too shabby, either, lol. Thanks for posting an update.

I got a good chuckle out of your discovery that the Borlas were ATAK's and not the S-Types. So, you're not getting old, it was just the mufflers!

Chris

Thanks, Ive always wondered if people were just lazy or didn't have video editing software when they post those videos of themselves setting up the camera, getting in the car, putting on their seat belt and then driving away. Then at the end they leave in the part of themselves coming back for the camera. :crazy:

It looks like I have the Borlas sold already but Ill know for sure on Friday. I could have got more but I just want them out of the garage ($350). I need to get all the water out of them first from the condensation since that wont look too good.

Reactions: 1 user